Old Comets W/ New Comet?

Guest easytoentertain

Guest easytoentertain

I have two five year olds comets...one of which is changing colors...and my brother has a small comet (i think thats what his is) but he doesnt really want it any more...would it be safe to put the little guy in the tank with my fish that are five years old with 4" bodies...or will they pick on the little guy...what should I do?

Guest Chishower

What size tank is it? 4" for a five year old comet seems really small...

Not saying your doing anything wrong, it could have been stunted before you got it. If the tank is a 60 gallon tank, or a pond, it will be fine.

Guest easytoentertain

well its only a ten gallon tank...i got it as a christmas present...i think the reason that they are so small is because i only feed them once a day per the stores recommendation...they dont seem to get sick and they have been growing over the years...but many people on here would probably say I should have a bigger tank...idk...my brother has a little five gallon tank for his fish but I have nowhere to put it.

well its only a ten gallon tank...i got it as a christmas present...i think the reason that they are so small is because i only feed them once a day per the stores recommendation...they dont seem to get sick and they have been growing over the years...but many people on here would probably say I should have a bigger tank...idk...my brother has a little five gallon tank for his fish but I have nowhere to put it.

359095[/snapback]

hmmmm tis small because of your 10gallon tank... 1 fancy goldfish have to have 10gallons by them selfs to grow healthy...and you have comets which need even more water space, yet you have a 10gallon for 2 comets... it also might have stunted your comets too

10gallon per Goldfish is a must !

Guest easytoentertain

well i realized i said that my brother has a comet goldfish when he really only has a common one...idk if that changes anything...at least in regards to the ten gallon tank...but i needed to correct myself regardlessly

marco the fish in ur siggy r gorgous, i just love the way the pearlscale in the middle has poo sticking out its butt in the photo:P

hehe...u gotta love goldies

359411[/snapback]

thanks for the complement :D

i only just realised that my pearly had a poo sticking out, when i put the pics on the computer hehe it was funny when i found it i have to say hehe

Guest Chishower

If you don't want to go out and buy a new tank, though, you can go get a 50 gallon rubbermade from nnnnnn, put some bungie cords around it to keep it from bowing out, add a few filters and ta da! A temporary tank that your fishies will love.

My Chocolate oranda spent the first five or so months with me in a rubbermade and he doubled, almost tripled in size from an inch to four inches.

You can get fifty gallon rubbermaids at Target too, and only less than twenty bucks! They have all sorts of sizes, but I can't remember the prices. Rubbermaids are a good idea :D

Actually the recommended space for commons/comets are 20 gallons per fish, a ten gallon is much too small for them simply because they need a lot of room to swim in, and they can grow to be anywhere from 6" to 12". You seem to be doing well with caring for your fish though for them to have survived for so long, I am sure the fish would be much happier living in a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub. I hope things work out for you and your fishies!

Archived