Deadly Disease

Guest kyle chow

Guest kyle chow

Hello, everyone, is anyone here able to offer me some effective medication (penicillin class) for dropsy? I have been keeping goldfish for many years now, and on and off I have had fishes suffering from dropsy, a deadly disease. :crp :crp I have tried to use fish medication that claim will cure this dropsy, but so far none of them I had tried was prove to be effective. Everytime when I discover a fish start having dropsy symptom, what I can do, beside using the fish medication, is wait hopelessly for its death, feeling sad and relief for its suffer was over. :o:o:o I was once told that penicillin might be effective, and so wondering is anyone outhere having tried using this and found effective?

you may want to try posting this in the disease/diagnosis forum. theres more knowlegable people in this area over there :)

just scroll down a bit on the main screen :)

I agree with Smack, although there is one med that is supposed to amazing at treating the first signs of Dropsy, when in most cases it could already be a lost cause...here's the link...

http://goldfishconnection.com/shop/details...uctId=9&catId=5

Anything from goldfish connection is usually a good bet! Good Luck! :heart

Metro-med and medi-gold are two medicated foods you can get online at the link posted above :) It sounds like it would be a good idea for you to keeps some around, jsut in case.

I don't know if you've tried Metro-ed and Medi-Gold, but Metro-Med worked wonders for me! Some people have used Maracyn 2, but it never worked for me while using Metro-Med did; after the second or third day, my fishes scales had lowered and he looked alot better. Just my recomendation; you can find those med foods on Goldfish Connection that Orandas posted. I would go with Metro-Med because it's more targeted to dropsy. Good luck with your fish; I know dropsy can be really hard.

Guest Phreno

I used maracyn 2 as well as medigold. One kills the bacteria in the water, one the bacteria in the fish. So far, 3 of my 4 fish with dropsy have gotten better. Epsom salt is important too, as well as maintaining perfect water quality. :)

I had a fish a few months back with dropsy. I fed Metro-med and used Maracyn, then Maracyn 2, and epsom salt and he made a full recovery.

I am treating another fish now for the same thing. I'm feeding him Metro-med, using Kanacyn, and epsom salt and he's not doing so well. He is actually the worse case I've ever seen. I've never seen a fish so swolen, it's painful to look at.

It's also real important to raise the temp. to 78*F and keep the water pristine. Dropsy is mostly caused by poor water conditions in the first place. (I have a pretty bad nitrate problem myself...it's my city water...)

When I first notice a sign of dropsy (in my fish it has been swollen eyes), I make sure the water params are perfect and add some empsom salt to the tank. That usually nips it right away, but not so much luck this time around.

Good luck with your fish! You've come to the right place for advice. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the both of us. :heart

Archived