Bio-wheel Dried Out...

Guest lovefish

How did it dry out? I think you might as well get a new one. The bacteria that colonized on the biowheel probably died when it dried out. At least, that's my understanding. You never need to change it because it is gunky. Just wipe some of the gunk off carefully and make sure it is turning once in a while. It doesn't have to spin all the time. :bounce

If you had a severe disease in the tank it was coming from and you wish to sterilize it, drying it will not work. It will kill all the beneficial bacteria, but it will not guarantee that all the nasty pasasites or bacteria or virus are dead. To do this, you can soak it in postassium permanganate for at least 4 hours - the pp must remain purple for 4 hours. If it turns brown, you need to add more.

If you do not want to soak it, you can buy a new one.

If your wheel has dried and you had no disease concerns - it simply dried through accident or lack of use or whatever, I would suggest you soak it to loosen any gunk that is in it, and shake it as clean as possible. There is no beneficial bacteria left in it (or actually so very little it makes no difference), so you will have to recycle using it, but if you shake it out well, it will work just fine. Soaking it will help wet it evenly, so that it will balance correctely and turn well when installed.

If you have an established tank that is cycled, you can run that biowheel and its filter on the established tank for a week or two and either jumpstart a cycle or completely cycle the biowheel and its filter.... depending on the tank, and the filter....

:)

Hi - thanks - I was hoping I could just start cycling it again... Lovefish - It dried out because I moved GN to his new tank. I thought I was going to sell the "old" tank but as it sat uselessly on the floor, I thought it might be nice to use it to try plants. Then I saw how much the cat liked having the tank on the floor and I decided to get him some fish to help the plants... and then you know how the rest goes! So, now I have three working tanks! So, luckily, it was not disease - then I would definitley buy a new one. But someone else will have this question one day and Daryl's great, thorough answer wil lbe here to help someone. :thanks

The plants, fish, and shrimp are not here yet but they will arrive before I can get a new biowheel - so I just wanted to be sure I sould re-use it. I will put it in GN's tank (where it was oroginally) to start cycling - then when the plants get here, I will have a healthy biowheel all ready! :exactly

Archived