Bubble Eye Infection?

Guest cidalee

Guest cidalee

Hi guys- new to this whole fish thing, so I don't know about a lot of the questions I'm sure you have like pH and such. This is a small (possibly 1-2 gal) tank my son recieved for Christmas. We have a bubble eye fish in it with a Calico, no sharp objects, or filters that would pose a problem. But I noticed a few days ago that one of his cheeks is cloudy, like it might have pus in it or something. The other is clear as usual and he's not acting any differently. I just wanted to check and see if anyone had any sudgestions- don't want little Fish Wax (yes, my son is 4) to go on the Potty Express! Thanks!

cidalee

Hi cidalee and :welcome

Basically the reason it's so important to get you to fill in as much information from the white box as possible is because it'd be irresponsible to advise you without the benefit of knowing what's happening with your water parameters first.

For example, your fish is in a 1-2 gallon (optimal is 10gallons per fish) with another fish and the problem with such small housing is fish are notoriously messy little things and the waste buildup can contribute to poor water. Now having cloudy eyes can be attributed to either a bacterial infection or ph swings.... and a bacterial infection itself is the most likely result of lowered immunity - which is necessary to fight infections. What lowers the immunity? Poor water quality....

So if it's at all possible, would you be able to take a sample of your water to your local fish outlet and ask them to test it for you? If they can write down the parameters - you can post them here.

It's also really important to know:

- how often you do water changes?

- what kind of filtration?

- do you use a dechlorinator?

I honestly think this may bacterial brought on by stress but without more information, that, at best, is just a guess.

So if you can answer any of the questions in the white box - it'll help narrow down the possible causes.

Please post back soon :)

Jen was right on with her answer, and in my experience cloudy bubbles is usually brought on by a water quality problem.

Optimally, your fish should be in a 20 gallon tank. I know that sounds like a huge tank for two fish, but goldfish are extremely messy fish and on top of that, they require very clean water to maintain their health.

As Jen asked, maybe you can provide us with a bit more information, but my suggestion for now, would be to do a water change in your tank. Change about 70% of the water and replace it with with water that is matched in temperature and treated with a good water conditioner. Also rinse your filter materials at the same time. A medicated food, such as Medi-Gold could also be fed for a couple of weeks (this food is available only available on-line). Here are two providers:

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/lis....php?parentId=5

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cg...c89a+1120833634

With proper care, the cloudiness will disappear, but you may be left with a tiny hard ball in the eye sac.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you and :welcome

Archived