Sue-she The Fish With Eye Cancer Needs Help Again

Guest cammie

Guest cammie

Well I'm back. Sue-she formerly Sushi is sick. She is the fish (for those of you regulars) that had eye cancer, then some on her tail. All of the cancer has been removed by a local vet with only a small spot remaining on her tail. The vet said he could not remove it all on her tail because it was starting to go into her tail muscle and if he removed it he would damage her muscle which could make her unable to swim.

All has been well until now. She started flashing on Monday. I have been reading and searching on this site determined to fix her without posting. Unfortunately, I am not sure I am helping. I started to notice tiny amount of white dusting on her. I thought it was Ich, so I treated with Non-Ich and also added salt (not .03% for fear of over-doing it). No improvement from that and she was still swimming until yesterday. Now she is sitting on the bottom and her dorsal fin is down/clamped. I also noticed her fin tail was starting to shread or rot. There are lots of red streaks on it as well. Her tail is also twitching. So then I went to the pet store yesterday and started treating her with Maracyn-2 for fin rot. She is still sitting on the bottom with no improvement. In fact now she has a lot more small white grains all over her. I really looks like she has been dusted with white, I hate to call it grains.

How long does Maracyn-2 take to work? I would not expect more 'dust' to be on her on the second day of treatment, I thought she would be improving by now. Should I add more Ich medicine and salt to the water or is that too much?

Please help!!

From what it sounds like is Ich. I would stop the Maracyn2 and add carbon to remove what is in there. Be sure to test the water regularly because that med can crash your cycle.

Now what I would recommend is just plain aquarium salt to the 0.3% to treat the ich. Salt is much safer for fish than any medicine out there. And works well to get rid of the ich.

Also raising the temp to around 80 degrees will help speed the life cycle up of the ich. It will be easier to treat this way, but means the ich will get worse before it gets better.

With raising the temp and the salt treat one full week past seeing any spots, make sure to vacuum the gravel daily removing the ich in the gravel. And you should be good.

Remember to check the levels daily because you may get a bump in the cycle.

good luck.

Guest cammie

My only concern about stopping Maracyn-2 is that she clearly has tail rot. Can I do the Salt and Maracyn-2 together?

I wouldn't do the salt and the Maracyn together. Salt doesn't mix with everything and I am not sure if it can with Maracyn or not.

The salt should be able to help with the finrot. Are you sure it is true finrot or just a symptom of what else is going on?

Guest cammie

I am pretty sure it is Finrot. I am seeing what I would call the lines or skeleton of the tail fin sticking out with no tissue/skin on a section at the ends of her tail fin.

I read the Maracyn-2 pamphlet last night and it said for Velvet or Ich treat with Maracide or CopperSafe. They say either one of those should be used to treat for Ich or Velvet along with Maracyn-2 (to prevent from secondary bacteria infections).

So now I think I should go get the Maracide or CopperSafe. Either one you prefer or know is better?

Thank you Laurie!

Guest cammie

Can someone help me here? I started the Salt treatment for Ich yesterday. I have a 12 gallon tank. So by that math, I should be adding 12 teaspoons of salt each day for 3 days? I just did treament 2 and now she is breathing rapidly. Help is this the correct amount? Should I remove some water and add some fresh water? Is there too much salt?

All params are good.

Cammie, I am so sorry that your poor fish has gotten ill again, especially after going such an ordeal with cancer!

Is he still breathing hard? It could be that the salt irritates him a bit, most likely the gills. If it hasn't gotten subsided somewhat (the breathing, I mean), then I would add some freshwater to it, just to be on the safe side. Diluting the salt somewhat to make him more comfortable, but not removing it completely.

Maybe you could add half the usual salt dosage after a few hours, although now when you remove some salt with a water change its hard to tell how much salt is actually in there without a saltinity test kit. Do you have one by any chance?

Guest cammie

Hi there! Thanks for the reply! I have been waiting for you to sign in and help me!! :)

I do not have a salt test kit but I am guessing there is close to 20-24 teaspoons now in there. She was not breathing fast until I added todays dose. I diluted it of course before adding it and I did not even add it all!

I am treating her with Maracyn-2 and Nox-Ich. She has finrot and I just found out from my local fish store an hour ago that the tank my snail come from (introduced 2 weeks ago) had Ich! So I immediatley came home and started with the Nox-Ich. I am embarassed to admit that I was using it on Monday too but only added 1 drop.. I misread the label I thought it said 1 drop per 10 gallons.

Back to the salt though (she was breathing hard before I added Nox-Ich fyi). How much water should I take out? I am worried a water change will stress her out even more but if it is hurting her gills I definately want to remove something right?

Any advise is appreicated Ranchugirl

I would take out around half of the water for now and replace it with fresh, saltless water. And I wouldn't do both at the same time - salt and NoxIch. Pick one and stick with it. Otherwise its too much all at once. I have never personally tried NoxIch, I only do salt when I spot Ich on a fish, so I don't know if that medication does well with salt.

Guest cammie

OK, I will do that and keep my fingers crossed. The guy at the pet store said it worked on his tank so hopefully the same goes for me.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the quick response!

Good luck, and let us know when your darling gets better!

Guest cammie

Ok, back again. This morning she has more white stuff all over her! I am having a hard time telling if it is Ich or Fungus. Also, the finrot is not stopping. Here is what she has been given;

1. Maracyn-2 for 3 days (today will be day 4 but I have not added it yet, just in case its not the right medicine)

2. Nox-Ich (today is day 2)

3. Salt (about 12-15 teaspoons- she was breathing rapidly after last dose of salt so I removed 1/3 of the water)

4. Melafix (just added this am - 1 teaspoon)

Temp is 80 degrees

I am wondering if this is a fungus now and I am not treating with the correct meds for the white stuff. Keep in mind her tail fin is rotting too. So does anyone know what is the correct meds are for all this? Are there any bad combos?

Help is greatly appreciated!

Some thoughts I have are that the ich are reproducing quickly. We know that in 80 degree water speeds up the cycle and the fish gets covered pretty good with ich. Treating it this way, we always warn it gets worse before better. I would give it a day or 2 and see before throwing any more meds in the tank.

Guest cammie

Thanks Laurie but she just died. I am very sad!!! We had her for 6 years and went thru a lot with her with the cancer and all. I think it was the cancer that actually killed her ... it must have gone internally and her immune system was weak.

Thanks again for all tthe advise everyone! Its a very helpful and wonderful website!!

Oh poor thing :( You gave her a better life than most fish owners would have, especialy with taking her to the vet for surgery. You're such a good fishie parent, I'm sure she loves you for all the care you gave her.

:heart

Archived