How Much Food To Feed Fancy Goldfish?

MaudlinBlithe

Whenever I feed some of my little GF with the five minute rule once a day they never ever get any bigger--about a year now and none of my fish are living in overcrowded situations.

I feed wardleys foating gf pellets 5 days a week. on the sixth day I was advised to feed nothing at all and on the seventh day I was advised to give them peas.

I don't like to feed flakes because they are soooo messy, and I alwasy soak my pellets completly and squeze the air out of them.

My tank conditions have always been good since I set up the tanks about a year ago....

hmmm. some of these fish were rescue fish--very very sick when I brought them home and babied them to health.... perhaps some of them are stunted for life. I know I read on Goldfish connection that this can happen.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Irregardless, I want a better feeding regimine. what do you all reccomend? I have bought frozen brine shimp before for my bettas, but the stuff is sooo darn messy. I thaw it in tank water and add it in. ick! I don't want this stuff littering my larger goldfish tanks though!

(I also plan on beginning to feed oranges to the fish again. I fell out of this habit and need to start doign it again--infact I bought oranges today so that I could do this!)

I should also mention that I desire to find a more high quality pellet--- like hikari, but never have because the pellets are sooooooooooo small. I think I would be siting there four an hour trying to feed my largest fish all of the food that he needs each day.

I have tried other brands like omega---uck-- I didn't even feed it to my fish because it just FELL apart AS the tank water soaked into it while it was in my "pellet soakin' cup"

Wardleys is the only kind that I have found that doesn't fall apart and that is why I am still using it....

Any ideas people?

(Perhaps I should mention that I feed all of my fish by hand perferably to minimize waste in the tanks)

I don't have much advice except to recommend ProGold from Goldfish Connection - I have only heard great things about it, and all other tank conditions considered, my goldfish have gotten very bright and their fins have already started to grow a ton since I started feeding ProGold 2 months ago. :)

:bubbles

Yes, I recommend ProGold, too. It doesn't require soaking since it is crumbly. My fish have done very well on it.

I feed a varied diet to my fish including ProGold (the staple food), shrimp pellets, freeze dried krill (soaked), freeze dried tubifex, spirulina pellets (soaked), two kinds of homemade gel food, and lots of veggies, such as broccoli, cauliflower, peas, tomatoes, zucchini and spinach.

Maybe you could up your feeding to twice per day :)

Perhaps continue with the larger pellets for your big guy and get some smaller pellets for the little one.

I have noticed that my small fish can take ages just to eat one pellet if it is a largish one.

Hey thanks alot, but I guess I forgot to mention or something that I had began feeding twice a day.

Also, I have one last question: since the progold is crumbly, does it fall apart all over in the water?

Thanks for all your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived