Light Fixure!

Guest goldfishrock

Guest goldfishrock

Hi Everyone,

Before I ask my question there are some things you need to know. I have a 180 gallon tank with over 14 plants. I recently baught a 220 WATT light fixture. I have 4 10000K light bulbs installed. My question is, what would be the best bulb to use in my situation? 10000K was recommended to me so I went out and baught it. Later the same person at the petstore happened to recommend 6500K light bulbs and I noticed that those were the only ones they had in stock LOL I hate people like that... they'll try to sell you anything regardless of the situation.

I have additional questions. Right now when I turn on the lights, my fish will scatter into dark corners, etc. They'll remain mainly inactive untill I turn off the lights (I have them on for 8-10 hours a day). Are the lights in any way harming my fish? Also, I have a severe algea problem... it looks like tar covering all my leaves (bark brown/black color) and was wondering if anyone knows how to gain control of this... do the type of light effect the growth of this algea?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't know much about lighting but I do know that a lot of light will promote the growth of algae, especially if you have high nitrates. As far as the brown algae, if I'm not mistaken you can get that from a newly cycled tank, or high phosphates. I first had brown algae and then it later turned into green.

There are chemicals to control it but since you have live plants that would be out of the question. Anyway, I tried the chemicals once and my fish started acting funny. I had to do an immediate water change. I'm sure you need the lights on to keep your plants healthy or you could keep the lights off and cover the aquarium for several days to try and kill off the algae. I have also read something about using barley straw in ponds to control algae but I'm not sure how that would work on an aquarium. I was so tired of green water, I emptied my tank and started over. Of course that crashed my cycle, but now I just use the lights less.

As far as your fish hiding when the lights are turned on; do you turn a room light on first for maybe 10 min. to allow them to gradually adjust? Or do you just turn the acquarium lights on? Turning them on this way can be blinding to them and scare them causing them to scatter and hide.

Good luck with the algae problem.

Archived