Guppy Breeding?

Guest unthinkable90

Guest unthinkable90

is a 5 gallon tank okay for 1 female guppy or two? ..i want to get a fancy one and from a pet store .. already pregnant... i have extra tanks to put da babies in.. BUT if i get too many , can i put them in the freshwater lake behind my house? :D

Releasing any kind of fish into the wild is a big no no. It's even against the laws in some states. Before you start breeding guppies, see if you have friends that want them (and are really willing to care for them) because you probably will get too many (guppies will breed every month if you let them). The offspring will both be male and female and they will breed too. Think about the after-math for your fish before you start breeding please. It's the same way with cats and dogs, people shouldn't breed just because they want to. You usually end up with lots of babies with no place to go :(

Now that that's said, how much extra room do you have?

What worked for me was to have two extra tanks. As soon as I could do so, I divided the baby guppies by sex and put only females in one tank and only males in the other. That way I could control the population explosion and only breed the guppies when I wanted to :)

Guest calico4

If your guppies do breed and they have more than you like, I THINK the people at lfs might take them.

-calico

is a 5 gallon tank okay for 1 female guppy or two? ..i want to get a fancy one and from a pet store .. already pregnant... i have extra tanks to put da babies in.. BUT if i get too many , can i put them in the freshwater lake behind my house? 

if theyre in good condition, you can sell it to the store for $ or credits. 5gallons for 2gups is fine.

In my opinion, people who would do that are irresponsible and shouldn't be raising guppies, or any other type of creature. As others have said, one should plan for care and future of the offspring before any breeding program is started (and I don't consider flushing a plan).

Guest unthinkable90

okayyyyy..THanks SO I SHOULD Definetely not put them in the lake?? and how do YOU tell a FEMALE from a MALE?

The males are the more colorful ones, while the females are a dull greyish-brownish color, with only color in their tails. Of course, you will notice a female also by her big belly! :rofl

Yah, putting fish in a lake isn't a good idea. It would be okay if it were goldfish or koi in your own private pond, but guppies in a wild lake won't work out, and they will probably die or cause harm to the enviroment.

Guest danielle92

I have guppies :heart and they will have fry every month :newfish well mine did if you don't want alot then don't put the mother in another tank just let the mother have her fry in the 5 gallon. Guppies will eat there own babies. They need a heter and an air pump. The mother will probably have 30-50+ fry from my expirence. Well I will love to know what you will do.

Guest unthinkable90

When you goto a pet store ,DO YOU HAVE to get them in a pair a female and male? I heard they will get stressed if ya dont ? true?>

Archived