Stunted Growth?

Guest LamLam

Guest LamLam

hello everyone,

ive heard that goldfish release chemicals into the water that stop them from growing. It is permanent or can they still grow once the water becomes better?

thanks

A goldfish becomes stunted when they arent allowed enough room to grow... Like putting a goldfish in a bowl.. that will stunt it. It really depends on how long the fish was in the cramped quarters, to say if it will be permanent. My neice has a goldfish in a 2.5 gallon tank, shes had it 3 years in there, it its only 3 inches long. now thats definantly a permanently stunted goldfish.

Yes, room is the major factor, since there is usually enough food for the fish, but food can also be a factor, and chemicals could stunt or harm your fish. What chemicals are you talking about?

Are you talking about ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Or pollutants?

Well, as far as I am aware the "growth hormone" has never formally been indentified but it is a popular theory. Toothless has a good idea that nitrAtes might actually be this mystery hormone.

Basically, the theory goes that fish exude or emit a hormone into the water. If the water volume is too small, or overcrowded, the hormone levels accumulate to a point where the fish automatically stunt their own growth, as a survival tactic.

Hmm, very interesting, it is not yet proven right? So if this theory is true, then it is not just excercise that is not enough, it is the hormone that stunts the growth. I think it seems logical.

Guest squeeker

is that hormone not a pheremone? All animals "excrete" pheremones (or so I understand). Makes sense to me, anyway.

Archived