Oranda Goldfish Information Anyone?

Guest goldfishgirl

Guest goldfishgirl

I just bought two oranda goldfish. They are still small just about 2 inches each with hardly no wen growth. They are currently in a 20 gal tank with two filters. If theres any tips on care,food or anything else that may be helpful to my knowledge please reply. I would really like my fish to be the best to there ability. By the way there sooooo cute!

Goldfishgirl

:D I totally agree! Orandas are sooo cute

As for any special care.. hmm.. Well i have i oranda and a ranchu and the only thing ive noticed is when their wen does begin to grow, watch for it to grow over their eyes and gills. Mine havent done this yet, but one of my orandas wen is sooo big now, you can barely see his eyes... Hes alittle clutsy, i dont think he can see very well due to the large wen. Ive also been keeping an eye on how it is growing around his gills. Its getting close to his gills... but thank goodness it hasnt grown over them.. It I thought it was going to, I think thats when i would go looking for a vet to trim it. I know u can do it yourself, but I would be to scared to!!! LOL..

I feed mine OmegaOne goldie flakes and pellets. They really seem to like them, and have been more colorful since I started them on this diet. :D I think thats all the advice I can give on orandas... I havent really noticed any special care with them except for the wen thing since ive been keeping goldies. :D Hope this helped... at least a bit. :heart

Guest goldfishgirl

Thanks for the info it did help because I am very new to this. I will watch out for the wen overgrowing but I think I have a while there still really small. What type of oranda do you have and what color ranchu (they are also adorible I wanted to get one but the petstores didn't have any)?

yeah, you have awhile, a LONG while before you need to worry about that. My oranda with the wen growing over his eyes is at least 6 inches.. hes alittle fatty...

My ranchu is oll orange, with a white belly, and a white wen, except on his cheeks. Their orange. His fins are also all white. Hes sooooo cute.

Yes, orandas have growth that varies with each individual fish. Some fish have huge wens while others have very little, but generally, as the oranda gets older, the wen growth will increase.

O yeah, i have 2 red cap orandas.

Guest goldfishgirl

Wow that's really funny. I do want my orandas to have big wens but if they dont I'll still love them there just to cute not to!

goldfishgirl

Guest goldfishgirl
Thats very true. ive seen HUGE orandas with barely any wen growth, and then others the same size with these monster wens!!! LOL....

357975[/snapback]

Yea, I've observed my orandas today some more (I love to watch them) and noticed that the orange colored oranda witch I named benjamin has a little bit more head growth then the blue well turning blue oranda (gregory or greedy greg) witch is bigger!

It's weird but I guess it depends on the fish itself.

Hey how cool, Our names are alike But not :)

I bought 2 calico orandas 4months ago, my first ever goldfish...advice I can give is...always soak food for 2mins before feeding and squeeze air out..orandas are prone to SDB..a floating disease which makes their stomachs fill with air, as a result they float to the top, gasp for more air, or flip over. (in this case senario feed peas and dont panic) Flakes dont agree with 1 of my orandas, makes him go all floaty even if i soak em, I like to feed pellets, peas, banana as a treat, and sometimes egg white lettuce e.t.c....

Just have fun with your goldies, and if u ever come across a problem post here, and there are hundreds of active people willing to reply within a few hours:) HaPpY goLdFisH keEpInG!

Guest goldfishgirl

Sorry about your bad luck with your orandas. Thanks for the information and if I have questions I will be sure to post them. So what kind of goldfish do you have now and how are they.

What do your orandas look like, Goldfishgirl? Any chance of pics?

Wen growth deffinatly vaires from fish to fish; have you seen Koko's Mr. T? I have three orandas, and they are my favorite fancy. There isn't really any extra info on them besides what has already been mentioned, but I'll repeat that they are very prone to SB problems, so make sure they have a very varied diet. Good luck with them!

Guest goldfishgirl

Roano,

Yeah I've seen KoKo's Mr.T he has a huge wen it's amazing. Well, I have a orange and a blue (not the prize winning blue but more silver) oranda they are still small with a little head growth. The orange one is a smaller and the chubby looking one and he also has a slight bit more head growth then the blue one which is longer looking. I am trying feed them a variety of things but it is hard because their not quite comfortable with coming to the top so I don't want to give them things they don't like. Soon as I figure out exactly how to post pics I will and you said you have three orandas I would love to see them too (I just love looking at other people's orandas). Thanks!

Goldfishgirl

If you want to post pics, you can register at photobucket.com, getting a free online alblum and give us the link to your alblum; there's another way to get pics directly on the site by taking the img and getting seperate images to apear, but I don't know how to do this. Once your a full member, you can load photos into the gallery on this site. I'm still attempting to load mine too, I ran into complications but will see if I can get you a pic...

Maybe try feeding sinking pellets or soaked ones? I always have a clean yogurt cup with my fish supplies, and I take a little of their tank water into there, add their flakes, and swirl it until the flakes sink, then pour the mix back into the water. (I do this because I'm trying to prevent more SB problems that I still have anyway.)

Guest goldfishgirl

Good ideal (yogurt cup) I will have to do that. I don't want my fish to have swim bladder problems but since I've only had them for about five days I'm still trying to fiqure out how to organize it all. How big are your fish and how long have you had them and how fast are they growing? Thanks for the info on the pictures as soon as I register at photobucket.com I should be able to have pictures of benjamin and gregory. Hope to see your photos soon too.

goldfishgirl

"How big are your fish and how long have you had them and how fast are they growing?"

I got my first oranda two years ago, but he just passed recently, so now my oldest is a year and a half. She is about 3 1/2 inches, tail included, without, 2 inches. My youngest is three inches, and my second youngest is only 2 and 1/2, but he has some genetic problems I think, and probably won't grow anymore. They seemed to have grown at a fairly constant rate, don't seem much larger than when I got them but looking back at pics, I can see they've grown.

Can't wait to see your pictures; it's a great idea to take some when you get them, and then be able to look back at ehm years from now, and see how much they've improved!

Archived