Caring

Guest kyle chow

Guest kyle chow

Hello, I am planning to take a business trip for a week, and I am still deciding if I should purchase a automatic feeder for my goldfish. Would anyone here be able to offer me some expereiences as to how long goldfish be left alone without feeding? I have read info from books and website saying that they can be left alone without feeding for as long as seven days, but I am still kinda reluctant to give a try.

They can be left up to two weeks without feeding, but only if they are well-fed to begin with, if they are mature (over 4" length really) and only if the tank temp is under 65F.

I personally do not trust automatic feeders: I have read too many accounts of them malfunctioning and dumping all the food in at once or not releasing it. I would have a trusted friend or neighbor come in once a day during the week you're away to feed them and check on them. That way, if there is a sudden crisis like a filter failure, someone is there to do something about it. :)

You don't have to get an automatic feeder. There are a few options for a week.

Vacation food that lasts a week

Getting a bunch of edible plants for the tank, like anarchis, if your goldfish eats it.

And Just leaving them without food.

Getting a friend or family member to feed, and take care of fish

I usually get the plants and vacation food.

:exactly

I wouldnt go with the auto feeders either. Ive heard alot of bad things about them as well.

Ive never tried the vacation food things, but ive seen them.

I would go with the live plants.. The goldies should munch on those off and on during the day.

Also, you could go a week without feeding them, but having a friend, neighbor or relative to come over and check on them, and feed them would be best. If you do go with this, I would seperate their feedings into small baggies, that way the person who comes to feed them wont over feed them. Sometimes people who havent owned goldies will over feed them because the goldies were begging for more, or they just looked hungry. :D Ive seen this happen MANY times..

Guest yabbie

Whoever you leave to feed them will overfeed them.

Just buy a vacation block, leave the water nice and cool and walk away. They'll be a lot better off and in cleaner water when you come back than if you get someone to feed them.

I dunno about ruining your cycle but I heard that they can mess with your ph. If you cant get someone to feed them for you I would just go with getting a plant or 2.

I'm definitely not a big fan of vacation blocks. :( The last, and ONLY time I tried one, I arrived at work the following Monday to find Piglet's tank, and Piglet himself, COVERED in green slime. blech.

I would recommend asking a friend to feed the fish, as mentioned above, separating little daily portions into baggies. However, make sure to HIDE the original food container, so the well-meaning fishsitter can't accidentally overfeed the little piggles... :blink:

Either way, though, I'd think that the fish would be fine for a week w/o food.. as long as they have been fed regularly before that. I wouldn't go longer than that unless the tank was cooler, as mentioned above.

:twocents

:bubbles

Guest kyle chow
:):):) Thank you for all the recommendations. I guess that I will not go for automatic feeder. Wish good luck to everyone here with their goldies

Guest jordanmia

i haven't tried this but i was just thinking that you could make mini ice cubes with fish food inside and your visitor/friend could feed the fish one cube a day. i just can't see putting 5 flakes in a bag. just a thought. small ice cubes shouldn't change the temp much in the tank either, depending on it's size, of course.

I think those little medicine boxes with one compartment for every day of the week work pretty well too, and they open up completely, so you can just turn the whole thing over and everything should fall out.

Hi - If you don't have someone to come over and (over)feed the fish, then calling the local petsitters, especially cat sitters (they have more time), might work and would not be too bad for two half hour visits in the course of a week. And then you get someone to keep an eye on the place and check on the mail - added benefit, they have a key in case you are ever without one! I used to move a lot and often live where people don't get too close with neighbors -so, I have found this works!

If you can't do plants (short notice) you could also stick some lettuce in there.

Or, just not feed. It may feel mean but if he is healthy, he won't starve in one week. They are built to hibernate over winter!

He sure will :heart you when you come home and feed him!

I wouldn't get an automatic feeder- too many stories relating to them. I will come across this same problem in a couple of weeks. Will be going away from my babies for 1 week. I think I will just ask my father to feed them, or my brother, just a tad bit scared they will forget :P

Archived