I Killed Him!

Guest tgrogan

Guest tgrogan

Hello all.

Well, I came out this morning and found Samak, still and stuck to the strainer of the filter :o (I don't think that killed him; he was probably dead first, then sucked over to the filter). I had him for a week! He did look slightly "tarnished"-- no black spots, but a slightly dimmed look, which could be that my daily water changes weren't taking care of the ammonia. His sides were swollen just behind the gills, but I don't think they were like that when I left him last night. I had just put in a bubble wand--- could that have done anything?

What kills me is that I have friends who got a goldfish for Persion New Year--last year--and have kept theirs in a bowl, usually dirty, and fed it things like chicken and drops of BEER, and the thing is still alive and growing!

So, to start over. I think I will leave the tank as it is and start doing the Fishless Cycle as described on this site. But what do I need to do to disinfect the tank, assuming that the little guy might not have been healthy before he got to me?

The girl running the booth at the Fair did say that a lot of the fish weren't very healthy. (And I will never frequent such a place again, believe me! How depressing.)

Im so sorry to hear about your goldie. :(

Well, to disinfect the tank, this is what i would do. Empty the tank out, take out any rocks or decor items. Then take a mild bleach solution, and scrub it down with that. and RINSE RINSE RINSE with hot water. And I mean rinse real good at least 10 or so times to make sure you get the bleach out... then the last rinses, use dechlorinated water just to be safe. You can boil the rocks and decor... but dont boil any plastic plants.. they will melt. Youc an clean out the filter with hot water, boil any intake tubes and such.

Good Luck with the fishless cycle, and sorry about your fishie. He/She is now up in fishie heaven :heart

Im so sorry :( Some are hardier then others unfortunently.... but you know what? atleast YOUR trying to keep it alive, unlike people who are feeding them beer, so you can feel good about that *huggles*

Guest tgrogan

Thanks guys. For the sympathy as well as the advice. I will be bleaching up a storm later today. Sigh.

You guessed right, he probably died before getting stuck to the tube, or was at least on his way. It could have been ammonia, or maybe the stress of so many frequent water changes. Keeping a goldfish in such a small place is kind of a lose-lose situation. He was in a small place right? Is that why you were doing daily water changes? Anyways, since it sounds like you were taking such good care of him and his color was fading a before he died, it sounds like he was sick when you brought him home. He was probably very stressed and sick from the conditions he was in before he came to you. It could have been some sort of internal parasite or bacterial infection the way you described everything. Those are the worst, because there usually aren't very many signs or none at all. I'm sorry about your goldfish, I have had many experiences like this one. Best thing to do is start everything over and clean like bigredandblindwilly said :)

If your fish came from a fair, he probably had one fin in the grave anyway, so to speak. Don't give up on goldfish, or your ability to look after them, as you sound very clued up already. Maybe buy your next one from a reputable lfs?

good luck

cupoftea

You mentioned he was swollen behind the gills, can you recall if his scales sticking up in that area? It sounds like your fish had symptoms of dropsy, which is very difficult to cure even if you know what you're dealing with.

I agree with Kissy that it was most likely an internal bacterial infection or parasites that caused this condition and killed your fish. Next time you get a fish follow the quarantine instructions given by Toothless. These can be found in the Disease/Diagnosis forum under the topic "Members who need help with Diagnosis" or something like that.

:cry1 Sorry to hear about Samak! I know you did not have him very long...

You did very well by him by trying as hard as you did to do everything right. He probably was sick before you entered the picture, but he also probably suffered less for your efforts. Take comfort in that - knowing he died loved and not just some random fish in a bowl at a fair... He had a name and we will rmember it!

Don't lose :heart - when the time is right, a new fish will come to you!

Archived