To Get A Snail Or Not?

I recently took my algae eater out of my tank (due to the now infamous eye sucking incident) about three weeks ago and I'm noticing an algae build up in the tank now. I would like to get something to control the algae, and common plecos are all I've seen in pet shops around here, so I figured a snail would be a good choice. My worry is that my 4 goldfish are piggies, and I'm thinking they might kill/eat a snail. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I think your snail would be safe but I also think you would be disappointed in the level of algae control you would get. That said, I love watching my snail as much as my goldfish. I would get a snail for the fun of it and call around everywhere for a bristlenose or rubberlip. I finally found them in a mom and pop that I had no idea even had fish!! I would use the phone though. Maybe someone would even order one for you.

Good luck!!

Guest deedeesue

Im no expert, but I just added an apple snail (skipper) :)

He's so cute and fun to watch. When I first put him in, he "ran" all over my tank eating brown algae, poor guy, he must have been starving. He has slowed down on the algae consumption though, I think he likes progold and bloodworms better :)

My goldies don't bother him at all, Just make sure you get one bigger than your goldies mouths :)

I've been reading about siamese algae eaters. They are supposed to be way more peaceful than most of the other algae eaters, and actually eat algae :) .

Just make sure it is the real thing. there are lots of imposters ie siamese flying fox. They are also supposed to be hard to find, but luckily my lfs has them. (a family run shop)

but I did op for the snail though, I may have to rethink this if the algae gets out of control.

snails will really only eat algae if they are stariving (apple snails, that is) some pest snails can and will live off algae alone, but will overrun your tank in the process. :blink: so if you get an apple snail with the intentions of it only eating algae, it willmost likely starve to death rather quickly. :( i would definately calll around untill you can find a bristle nose/rubber lip pleco. :)

Archived