Egg Bound?

i was just wondering what are the signs of a fish being egg bouund or impacted what ever it is i havent had my water tested yet i am having it tested again this weekend my tank holds just under 30gals and has 5 fish it has an under gravel filter which is changing soon my fish have a varied diet of flakes peas and frozen bloodworm and other stuff like that i have had this tank for about four months i have had alot of problems with my nitrites before and i have lost a oranda due to either swim bladder or an internal prob i dont know but it was a long painful drawn out and very upsetting death.

so my last remaining oranda which i thought was a boy but might be a girl keeps getting a swelling on its left side which comes and goes when it comes it swims virtically or on its side to me its vent looks swolen and the poo is very thick and has air bubbles in it recently it did one that was unusually thick and it floated to the top and curiosity made me squeeze it and it popped! :o very discusting it was full of air it still has the swelling now and ive noticed that it now also has a small lump underneath on its belly by the fins before the tail fins if that makes sense :huh: sorry for the really long post but i think it really need exsplaining as she is looking kind of lumpy. ithough that it might have been eggs in the poo but since the one that popped im gessing their air bubbles! i will post the results of the water test later all the other fish in the tank are acting like they do normally

any help or suggestions will be great thanx B)

Hi PBR - I'm a bit concerned about the swelling you mention. I also have a goldie with an enormous belly and for the space of a week - would find poop floating on the top of the tank with big air bubbles in it. The only thing that's different is the type of swelling....Abnormal abdominal swelling may be an indication that all is not well with the liver or kidneys...

What I ended up doing was fasting for 3 days - then fed a couple of shelled peas for 2 days - then fasted for another 2 days... then fed some orange after that. I tried reducing the amount of stodge (as I call flake food) to see if this would help show some improvement. Well it worked a treat and I am now feeding my fish every second day... Something worth a try?

But as soon as you can, it'd be a great help if you could post your parameters... this is the best place to start and hopefully we can figure out what's going on.

Please post back soon :)

ok i havent got the internet at home at the moment but i am getting it back on soon when i do ill post back on the water test results i have finished college now so i have no internet access until im back online at home.

i havent fed amanda flakes for a week now and shes been ok but she has still had bubbles in her poop i tried her with flakes today to see if the swelling comes again if it does im going to make her some gel food thanx for the reply will post back again asap! :D

When my girl was eggbound her whole abdomen swelled and pooping was a huge effort. It would take hours of just pooping. I treated with peas and fasting thinking it was constipation. Finally she released the eggs and she was a new fish. It was amazing. She never had the reabsorption poop you are describing. Does your fish ever eat at the top of the tank?

• 3 weeks later...

all of my fish eat off the top of the tank she did stop floating the week when i stopped the flakes but still had bubbly poop ive changed the flaked foods that i feed them to a more exspensive brand and i only feed them once every two days ive used so many peas, bloodworms and brineshrimp that its all gone i need to get some more. but the floating hasnt really completely stopped and she still swims at an angle and is a bit swollen it think tht the damage may be permanent. some of the other fish have become constapated and have really long poops i hope the new flakes will have an effect on this.

Archived