Was My Oranda Ever Sick To Begin With?

Guest Oranda Man

Guest Oranda Man

AMMONIA - 0ppm

NITRATES/NITRIES - 0ppm

pH @ Tap - Unsure

FILTRATION - 3-Stage filter (mechanical, biological, chemical)

CONDITIONERS - Prime

FOOD - Deshelled, cooked peas, Flakes, brine shrimp

BEHAVIOUR - Hanging out in the bottom, corner of the tank and not swimming

pH - 7.2

TANK - 20 gallons, been running for 3 months

WATER CHANGE - 50% twice a month

POPULATION - A new Oranda from vvvvv :newfish

Ok, so here's the problem. I just got a BEAUTIFUL (Black and Gold) new Oranda from vvvvv...but he seems to be just hanging out by the bottom of the tank in the corner. The tank is normally home to some Neon Tetras just to keep the tank cycled...this tank we use as the quarentine tank for new fish when they come in. The Oranda is eating and does not have any signs of physical affliction, but he was so active in the Pet Store and now he is quite sedentary.

I treated the water with Maroxy-Two and Coppersafe last night...and within 30 minutes he was darting all over the place!

So is he feeling better...or was he not sick at all? All that I know is that he now is 100x more active than he was before the treatment last night.

Sometimes meds bug the fish...I try to avoid using them whenever possible....meds really need to be used only when you know exactly what the problem is.

Ideally, I would have used salt in the tank...that would kill off most parasites that could afflict a new fish. See the posting for Salt and its many uses in the treatment section for directions if you need them. Caution...not sure if salt can be used in conjunction with the meds you used so the meds would have to be removed from the water first (adding back the carbon if you removed it and a couple of days worth of water changes (maybe 20%).

As for your water changes, fish are very dirty...I think you would be better off with smaller weekly water changes (20-25%) rather than a full 50% only 2 times a month.

Are there any other symptoms like white spot, unusual markings, flashing or rubbing against the tank or objects?

You said you JUST got the new fish....how long ago? It could very well be stress....

Guest FishBuddy

I know some fish when put in new water and new environment, kind of feel sick for a while untill they adapt. Different water perams, and evironment can take it's tole on a fish. That could be one possibily, as I've seen it with a few of my fish in the past. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hope he stays well.

I have a fish that acted like that for a couple of months. She was on her own in a 10g, I thought she was kinda fragile.

My son suggested moving her to another tank so she could have some company. Well, it worked. After a few hours in the other tank she was as active as the other fish.

Maybe your fish is just freaked like fishbuddy suggested, give it some time and see how it goes. Good luck.

Guest Oranda Man

Thanks for the reply, guys!!!! Ok, so then what should I do about the tank he's in? It has all those meds in there right now, what should I do about that?

Did you take the carbon out? If so, put it back in...this will help pull some of the meds out. If the carbon is still in there, than the full dose of the meds is probably not in the water anyway bc the carbon kind of deactivates the meds. Start doing partial water changes...maybe 25% today, tomorrow and Saturday. Keep a very close eye on your parameters...meds can crash your cycle. Your fish will get even more stressed if the ammonia starts to peak.

Archived