I Don't Know What Type Of Goldie I Have!

Guest starpetals27

Guest starpetals27

I was recently given a fish by a friend, who couldn't remember what he had bought. I called the store he purchased the fish at, and they couldn't seem to place it either. My 10 year old comet had just passed away, and I decided that I'd take it in, whether I knew the species or not. It looks mostly like a goldfish, the scales are a metallic peach that fades into a white belly, a tail like a comet ( straight and not fanned) and the body is generally fairly sleek, with a slight bulge around the stomach. The curious thing is that is has an pencil eraser-sized black blotch on both sides towards the tail. The friend who bought the fish said that all the fish in the tank had that same blotch, and it was some breed of goldfish. I've spent many nights online searching for what fish I have, but with no results. Does this fish sound familar to anyone? Thanks so much for your help!

It sounds like a goldfish by how you described it, but the "black splotch breed" doesn't really ring a bell. A pic would be much easier to go by, but if you can't get one, pay attention to the body features and try to match them with pictures online.

Here is a site with lots of fish types, and good pictures. I'll be working on the mystery too! Live Aquaria

Guest starpetals27

It has similar "facial"structure as to the Platy, but the belly is a bit more bulky, with a larger body-to-fin ratio. Thanks for your help, I'm trying to find a good picture of Zeus (he's hard to photograph, very flitty and doesnt sit still very long) :)

Mollies are very similar to platies and can come in the "balloon" variety. Maybe thats what you have. I feel your pain with photographing fishies!

Guest starpetals27

well, i can't seem to get a decent un-blurred picture of my little fishy, but the similarites to the platy seem to grow more evident each time i look at the picture. Thank you so much, I think I may need to be be buying some tropical fish food!

Aw platies are cute! But definantly not a goldfish. Was he keeping the platie in coldwater? Might want to get a small heater while you're there too, haha let's heat that baby up. 75-80*F respectively.

Platies and mollies are absolutely adorable, especially the balloon mollies! If I ever had room for more fish, I'd definately get some of those guys :) I envy you :P

Guest starpetals27

Thanks for all of your help! I went to a pet store to buy some bird food, and asked the owner what he thought, and he advised me to consider the fact that it could be mutt goldfish, he suggested a cross between a fantail and a comet. Is this possible? I and my fish thank you all!! :)

Yep its a mickey mouse, but it's a platy. Platys and mollies are very similar tho :) I'm not too sure what the actual difference is..they both come in so many colors and patterns, I know mollies love salt, but I'm not sure about platies. Maybe someone else has an answer to my question. They're both very nice fish, but I've never kept them...I plan to tho!

:welcome Whatever your fish turns out to be, it is very lucky to have responsible companion like you - it is very smart of you to try to learn what it is so you can give it the best care possible!

The first thing I thought of was a Mollie, too, maybe a Dalmation Mollie - one way to know for sure, but it takes a while, is to see if it grows. A goldie will grow fast!

Dalmation Mollie dalmatian_molly_w270.jpg

Pot-Bellied Mollie

balloon_molly_3933_w090.jpg

There are also Sail-fin and Lyre tail variations of the Mollie that look a little different.

But that Platy posted above is a good match, too, especially since you said they all had those dots at the base of the tail.

How big is the fish now? What conditions are you keeping it in at the moment? And how does it seem to be responding to that environment?

Good luck with the pictures - if you have a micro function it helps alot!

I think we are all very curious about your little fishy... What's it's name? :)

Guest starpetals27

Everyone has been so helpful, many thanks!! I named my fish Zeus, and actually he's grown a sizable amount since I adopted him. He's gotten to be about 2 and half inches long. I am keeping him in a 10 gallon tank, ( by himself) with the water temperature running about 75 degrees. Zeus is quite energetic, and rarely ever stops swimming about the tank. ( Especially if he sees someone close to the tank, then he practically performs for them!) I'm still working on a decent picture, hopefully soon I'll catch him when he's not watching and be able to post a decent photo. Again, thanks so much to everyone for helping out with my little swimming mystery!!!

Guest yabbie

The fantail/comet cross your petshop guy mentioned is also known as a nymph.

I have a few fry who may be nymphs. Their body's are quite short and round and then they have a long tail leading out to an enormous tail fin. It's a little bizarre but quite pretty.

I too was gonna say the balloon molly I had 1 but it passed, in fact ALL my platies n mollies passed. I dunno I dont have any luck with those kind for some odd reason. Goldies guppies, n cory cats is all I can keep LOL Oh my Danios LOL they seem to want to live foreverrrrrrrrrr

Well, whatever he is, ZEUS is a fantatic name! Great prospects! He lives like a god, the way you take care of him! :D

I can't find a picture of a Nymph and now I really want to see one! Anyone have one to share? :please

Guest starpetals27

img04213qx.th.jpg

Sorry for the delay on the picture, this is the best I could do with a fast fishy, and a slow camera! The head (sadly not pictured) is basically that of a comet. Thanks to all for your help!

Archived