What Goldfish, Which Tank?

Guest goldfishgirl

Guest goldfishgirl

Can anyone give any insight on how many fancy goldfish fish I can put into my 20 gal tank. I plan on getting three a black moor, a lionhead, and a oranda goldfish but something tells me that it may be too many. After doing research on these fish I've grow to love them and I would really hate to have to choose but I want my fish to be healthy and grow to there full potencial.

goldfishgirl

I agree with Jessica, They will be happier in a nice big tank....depending on what your budget is I would always suggest going as big as you can so you don't have to keep moving them to a new tank all the time.....In the long run it will prolly save you money...I had to learn the hard way because I am stubborn!!!...

:welcome You in the right place!!

I definately agree that you should go with 2.....the fish seem so little when you bring them home from the petstore...but in a year or so, it's amazing how big they get...I was just looking at old pictures of my tank the other day and was shocked at how tiny the fish were!

Guest goldfishgirl

Thanks everyone for all your help on helping me decide how many goldfish I may get. I am a new aquarists even though my father is an expert at it he doesn't know as much about goldfish. Your replies were great I definetly will go with 2 fish now I will have to decide which ones to get.

Guest goldfishgirl

I couldn't quite see your fish but it looks like you have a very nice tank (jessica). what kind of fish/goldfish do you have in there?

Guest goldfishgirl

It is so funny today I went to the petstore checked out the goldies and bought two small orandas a blue and a red and white. The black moors were calling my name (they didn't have any lionheads) but I knew that it would over stock my 20 gal tank so I went with the two. I am very happy with them there so cute and small and thanks to your advice on how many to get they will turn out big and healthy hopefully.

goldfishgirl

:welcome Congarts on your new fish! Please post some pix. in the photo forum.

Like FrogD, I learned the hard way, too. Yours will definitely grow quickly in the right set-up. My little golfish grew over 3 inches in one year! I wish I had done my research first, like you! But, you will enjoy your fish all the more becasue you got it right from the get-go! :D

What did you name them?

Guest goldfishgirl

Well with help from my dad I named the orange colored oranda benjamin and the blue oranda gregory or greedy greg because he may be still a little shy but with the food that I've put into the tank out of the two fish he has had the majority of it lol.

goldfishgirl

P.S. when I take pictures I will post them but if anyone else has photos of there orandas or any nice photos of there goldfish I would love to see them.

hurray! take pictures now, they grow up fast!! You'll be amazed, you'll go in to get soemthing at the fish store and go, "wow, their fish are small... wait a minute!" XD

Archived