Question About Water

Guest JustJayde

Guest JustJayde

ok question for you...

I know I have to let the tap water sit for 24 hours before putting it in the tank to let the chlorine out...

Can I put LIDS on the containers I have the water in? (to keep cockroaches and other airborn stuff out)... or does it need air exposure?

*feels dense*

hehehe

uhm....cockroaches?? :yikes anyways, leave the lids off, this allows the chemicals etc to evaporate out. if you want, you could put some type of mesh or something over them, like plastic canvas from craft stores. unless you have lots of crap in your air, the airborne stuff shouldnt matter. :)

Yeah, leave the lids off.....but if you use Prime or other water conditioner that removes the harmful chemicals, you can put tap water directly into the tank. I know Prime works instantly to make the water safe, you just have to get the temp of the water the same as in the tank. :)

Guest JustJayde

Maybe ill just poke a few holes in the lids of the containers, roaches out, air in....

rather than going and buying mesh :)

thank you!

I have to admit - I have my lids on & don't fill to the tippy top. I have kids & I don't want a giant mess from a jug overturned. I just leave the lid of for a few minutes before I actually change the water (My jugs sit out for a few days before i use the water in them)

I wonder if it does make a difference. Hmmmm... I may have to test the water & see ...unless someone else has alreay done this???

:D Jenn

Guest JustJayde

Ya I let mine site for a good 4 days before use with the lids on.... then remove the lids before the water change as I siphon.

Well now there are a few holes in my lids, so it should be ok.

Maybe you can do some holes in your lids also..... kids can still spill them but they wouldn't lose much on your floor :) I have made a little fish corner on my kitchen counter......... the 2 water pails are stacked there so my lil one wont knock em over.

Guest ZekeAvy

is it really okay to use tap water without some kind of additive? I'm so scared of all this new info about the chlorine in teh water and stuff taht even if i let it sit out for like a week, i'd still feel queasy about putting it in the tank....

... any way to ease my nerves?

Guest waheeda

Based on what I have heard before I would leave the water out for three days if I wanted to save cash and not have to buy an additive. I use a de-chlorinator and I leave my water out for 24 hours to give time for the metals to work their way out as well. If I didn't use a de-chlorinator I would definately leave the water out for the three days because you want the chlorine, possibly chloramine (depending on where you live) and the metals to work their way out. I think that holes in your lid is a good idea.

Hope this helps

Waheeda

Archived