Does Anyone Else Have...

Drgong

When I bought mason, I though he was just a really young black moor who color had not grown in...however, as he is growing, i relized that its acully a olive-bronze color that is the "wild type" and is usally culled by breeders, anyone else have a wild type colored goldfish??

yep, its a light bronze color, these are culled by breeders so they are hard to find, (though more common in feeders, as some breeders will raise the rejects as feeders then sell the colorful ones as commons) but I ended up with a teloscope wild type coloration...mine is a tad darker then these two....there is pink and wild type that are culled out...

wildtype_common_goldfish.jpg

7922.jpg

Guest yabbie

I have an outdoor pond shop near me and they sell tonnes of large bronzies of all types for pond fish, you can get moors and butterfly tails, everything. Crowded into large tanks under lights on display they look fabulous, like flashes of highly polished bronze. I don't know why people cull them.

Obviously the pond people pick them up super cheap or free because at 7-9 inches 18-23cm they are still really cheap.

The olive colouring is the protective colour of fry. He'll probably lose that as he grows and the reflectiveness of his scales will make him a shiny bronze.

Gosh, Rocko looks exactly like my little ranchu Wriggler, even down to the mischievous expression! :D

That olive-bronze colour is the original colour of goldfish (back when they really were just wild carp). It is still the colour of all goldfish fry during the first few months of life; the fancy colours only appear as they mature. It is very rare that they keep that colour, although if they are put into a pond and allowed to live and breed naturally, sometimes they do. :)

Rocko was supposed to be a "Black" ranchu.... and the cruddy lighting made min look that way... but he was all wiggly and friendly, i would have bought him if he were the ugliest fish in the universe!

Guest Esareh

:yikes How... WHY would someone cull that LOVELY color!?!?!?!?!?! Why?!?!?! Its SO pretty! If it was a little lighter, it would really be a GOLD-fish. Why cull that! its gorgeous!

EDIT: exactly magick! Its not the outside, its the inside.though, i have to admit, a pretty or cute fish makes me melt but if it just sits there, thats not a personality! I love goldies for thier personalities (bettas too)

I used to have a light olive bronze baby goldfish and I had him for about two years before he died but he turned into a spectauclar looking fish. I'm pretty sure he was "wild" colored because his color instead of turning bronze it turned a darker olive color with only shimmer on his scales on his lower body and near his tail fins.

Archived