Observation On Betta Fry...

Ranchugirl

My oldest betta fry, with around 200, is now 2 1/2 weeks old, with another batch of babies trailing behind 2 days younger than that. But what a difference in size!

The older bettas, although just by 2 days, are around double the size than the younger ones!

I have in both tanks sponge filters running on low settings, and bare bottom tanks (10 gl each). In the tank with the bigger betta babies are plants completely covered in string algae, and an automatic brine shrimp hatchery is supplying the bettas with brine shrimp constantly for 24 hours.

The other tank with the smaller fry also gets his big share on brine shrimp, every 3 hours, but the big difference is the algae in the tank....Almost none!

I believe the size of the bigger fry got there because of endless nibbling on that string algae. I see them hang on the algae almost constantly, either on the plants or nibbling away on the glass. So I put one pot with an algae covered plant into the other fry tank yesterday, so they can do some nibbling as well....

Those guys start to look like little miniature bettas already! :happydance

I tried that once, when they were smaller, but I couldnt see one betta on the picture :D . Maybe now since they are bigger, I have a better chance!

Wow, it sounds like you have an awesome betta hatchery going on!! I really hope youre able to post some pics because I have never seen such young bettas. Do they have coloring yet? When can you determine male and female? At what point do you have to start separating the males? Is it true that if you raise the males together since they were babies they wont be aggre0s

Wow, it sounds like you have an awesome betta hatchery going on!! I really hope youre able to post some pics because I have never seen such young bettas. Do they have coloring yet? When can you determine male and female? At what point do you have to start separating the males? Is it true that if you raise the males together since they were babies they wont be aggressive?I wasnt sure if that was a myth or not but I have heard it.

I bought my betta Fiji this spring when a customer brought him and several of his brothers in to sell. He was still pretty small, and even looked like a roundtail with his short little fins! He grew really fast after I took him in and got the long flowing fins. Sadly most of his brothers ended up dying at our store. :( My friend suggested it was because they had been raised in a clean tank environment (like yours) and then went from there to the cups and died. Luckily my little guy seems healthy.

Anyway are you breeding for any certain tail shapes or colors? Do you cull bettas like you do goldfish? Are you planning on keeping many? Anyway cant wait to hear more about them. I happen to just really love these fish in case you hadnt noticed!

Yeah, I can tell you love em! :D Its my first try on betta raising, so I have to fin out many things myself....

I tried again for some pics, but all I got were some blurry dots. Well, well...Although, they look pretty much like goldfish fry for now. All whitish-clear, I can see the spine, and their full belly, as well as the eyes, and clearly, some have already very visible finnage, although also clear. They are a bit more than 1/4 inch long now, so I guess finding out their gender will take a little bit longer.

A betta breeder in Miami told me that story too, about the males not as fisty when they have lived together all their lives. He only puts the ones in separate container that start to get aggressive toward their siblings, and can keep them together actually a long time. He has them in a 50 gl rubbermaid container, so they dont bother each other that much.

Your Fiji was really lucky, and yes, I believe those nasty containers are the reason so many bettas die in the store. They have been raised in filtration, and end up in a horrible little cup. Especially Petsupermarket doesnt even fill the water half way up, and its impossible to see the betta with his full finnage. He doesnt have the space to flare! They dump food in there, and with that little water it turns into a ammonia soup so fast!

Both of the *litter* have parents with the regular long finned version that most pet stores have, the third one is the one with only a few fry in there, and comes from twin tail parents. And then there is the male/female from Thailand, those are both Halfmoon delta, but they need a week or two of conditioning and rest before I put them together....

How many bettas do you have?

Guest Gabi-hime

I have a question for you, Andrea. Exactly how are your fry tanks set up? ^^ I have a Blue/White HM Delta Butterfly pair that I'm going to put together soon. I'm using a ten gallon with a small sponge filter and a small submersible heater. I'm so excited!

Are you feeding anything other than the BBS and algae? :3 Just curious.

Hi Gabi! :hi

I also use 10 gl tanks, with a sponge filter and no heater, since I live in Central FLorida, its nice and warm here....I had much help in setting up the tank from bettatalk.com, and have bubbles coming out of the tubing 1 bubble every second, so not full power.....

Besides the brine shrimp I fed the egglayer liquid fry at the beginning too, since the brine shrimp might move to fast for the weakest fry. Since this morning I have a nice culture going of microworms, they just started to wiggle around. You cant really see them, but you can see the mixture move.... :unsure: Worms are not my thing usually, at least not live ones, but they are very nutricious and just the right size for the little fry....

Good luck with your pair! Where did you get them from?

Guest Gabi-hime

I got mine from Faith at Bettatalk. They're a pair from her Blue Moon strain :3 It seems like we got our setups from the same source :3. I live in Southern Louisiana (south of 1-10!) and here it is also very warm all of the time, except when inconsiderate roommates turn the thermostat down and that might end in fishie disaster, so I thought, better be safe than sorry!

How is the liquid livebearer food working for you? I've been thinking about getting some. I also need to set up a brine shrimp hatchery. I have a cultre of microworms ready to go though ^_^. I'm just waiting until everything seems just right :D

Oh, yeah, I remember, FAith gives the microworms free when you buy fish! She has some very nice fish going! I especially like the orange ones she has some pictures of....

Actually, I am not too happy with the liquid fry stuff. The 2. batch, the smaller one, was on the liquid fry stuff longer than the first batch, they got switched to the brine shrimp sooner, and are much bigger. But I was not too successful with raising enough brine shrimp then, so I gave one tank the egg layer food... ;) After being on brine shrimp for a few days now, I can see they are catching up.

I decided to use the liquid fry stuff only the first 2 or 3 days the next time around, and then give them microworms, and a few days later the brine shrimp.

Its too funny to watch those betta pairs together! Very aggressive at times, only to be very friendly and together the next.....

And the idea with the half styrofoam cup is great! The nest holds so much better in there, and I can move it around too... :)

Archived