Upsie Daisy!

armywf

:huh:

I have a problem. My bubble eye has taken to swimming upside down :blink: and I am 100% positive that that is not healthy. I dont know what could be causing it. It has been going on for the last 2 weeks. He seems healthy, but obviously something is going on. He is happy and carefree and sometimes he swims rightside up... but more often then not, he is upside down. <_<

I use regular spring water in his tank. I have forever. Thats what all my goldies have. Someone help Please! I dont want him to pass. He is such a sweetie! Thanks all!!

Jordan

They eat flakes... Are you sure that you are supposed to soak those? They crumble easy enough as it is... If I were to soak them, they would be impossible for the fish to eat. :huh:

Yes you should always soak them. Even though they are flakes and compressed there is a possibility that they still have air in them. Do you notice how they linger over the top of the tank for a while? If your fish swallow the food before it is soaked it could get air in their system and thus creating your problem. I suggest you read the Goldfish Food section in Koko's website.

If that were the problem though, I would think that it would have affected him way before now... I have had him for almost 7 months... I will start saoking it to see if it will help, but I still question if thats really the problem... it never hurts to try though.

Guest Sacreligioushippie

I definately suggest soaking the food. First though, I'd try to fast him, just a couple of days & then feed the soaked food. Although from what I've been told, once they go topsy turvey they may never go back to normal. Its always worth a shot though.

Most deep bodied goldfish (fantails, ryukins, pearlscales) are suseptible to swim bladder problems. Don't worry about the food crumbling. I soak my food and it always stays solid. Just put the food in a cup of tank water & let it sit for about 5 minutes or so. Then dump it in. Yum :blink:

LOL! Ok. I will give it a shot tonight when it is his dinner time. Poor thing... He wil be ok though. he has so much character. I love him to pieces. Thank you guys for your advice! Its Always welcome!!

Also, make sure never to feed too much (or too much at one time) because this can irritate the swim bladder also. It's a good idea to try and feed your goldfish shelled peas, it will clean out their digestive system and help with swim bladder issues. Once a week is good.

Thanks sollicitus_witness :) I hope your bubble eye feels better soon! I've taken quite a liking to bubble eyes lately..they're so adorable. Be sure to post back.

if it is swim bladder, which it sounds like, i would vary the diet. dont feed flakes all hte time, maybe just one meal every couple days could be flakes, try blood worms, tubiflex worms, shrimp, krill, plankton, peas, daphina, algae wafers, veggies, fruits....this helps their systems by not always haveing hte same things :)

Thank you all so much. I have started soakinghis flakes. We will see if that helps. He doesnt like it as much, but he still eats it so its ok. I just want to thank you all!

Jo :rolleyes:

I thought it is not so much "air in the food" as it is that the food floats on the water & the

piggies rush up there and gulp in the food (along with air).......soaking the food would make all the food sink into the tank. Then the piggies chase the food around the tank but not sucking in from the top.

Archived