Can Snails Get Fungas?

Guest Morten33

Guest Morten33

Hi,

I have a Jade snail named Buster. I have had Buster for about 6 months now. In the past couple days I have noticed a spot on each antenna/tentacle ( not sure what they are called?) It is white and looks almost cottony. Any Idea what this is? Or if it could be a problem?

Buster2.jpg

Buster3.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Emily

it looks like an injury to me. did a curious fish maybe try to nibble his antennas? as far as i know, snails dont commonly get fungus, unless of course, theyre rotting away or something. I wouldnt worry about it unless it starts getting worse. :)

Guest Morten33

Well my fish are pretty small and fairly slow, when Buster sees them coming he goes in his shell. So I don't think my fish got him. But I can't think of how he might of hurt them. I will keep a close eye on him for now. I just thought I'd ask, because it isn't something he's always had, and it seems to be getting worse. It started just on his right one, now it's on both and on the thing he sticks out of the water to breath. They can't get ick can they?

Anyway, thank you for your help! I'll keep a close eye on him for now.

Emily

they cant 'get' ick, but they can carry it from one tank to another if its present. if youve had him for awhile, theres no possiblitiy of this :) unless of course, you have ick right now :)

Guest Morten33

Okay, good to know! And no, we havn't had Ick yet, so i'm glad it's not that either.

Thanks for the help!! :D

Emily

good! i would just keep an eye on it, their antennas and feelers can get injured very easily, even totally bitten off, but they just grow another or fix up the injury :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Morten33

Buster died sometime yesterday. :cry1

He was staying in the same spot on the bottom of the tank, not in a place where he usually spends a lot of time. I waited a while, and then reached in to pick him up. He kind of fell out of his shell a bit. I put him in a container that i usually feed him in, with water from the tank. And he is still in the same spot in there as well, and his is like 1/2 way out of his shell.

I would like to get another snail sometime. If anyone knows of a good place on line that I could order one, let me know.

Thanks

emily

Guest Morten33

P.S.

This is another picture of Buster the day before he died. He was motoring around eating. The white spots were all over him at this point. And there were even little things that looked like they were growing on his shell, but you had to look really close to see it.

Buster1.jpg

I still have little white dots or patches of stuff the same size of the ones on him, but on the glass in my tank? I have scraped it off, and done water changes, but it keeps coming back. Not sure what it is, but now one of my fish looks like he is having an SBD issue.

Any advice?

:( Hey Emm,sorry to hear that Buster didn't make it. I know some information about snails,but unfortunately nothing much about diseases,and such. I was just wondering though.....In your tank,do you have any pest snails or Ramshorn snails? when they're babies,they look almost like little white specks on the glass.Maybe it's a far reach,but I figured worth a shot.I've allready seen the babies sticking on my Brigs,and other snails.What was your PH,and your Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate level in that tank by the way?

I'm sorry about Buster. *hugs*

That is very odd..

(While I have the link on a copy & paste): snail sellers: http://free.hostultra.com/~applesnails/sellers.htm

Oh I found Donya's site on snail health:

http://free.hostultra.com/~applesnails/health.htm

Fungus Infections

This is an easy condition to spot: the snail will start showing discoloration on the bottom or top of its foot that progresses to dark or light colored "spots." Unfortunately there is no cure for fungus infections, since all available fungus treatments for aquariums contain chemicals toxic to snails. The infected snail should be isolated from other snails to prevent spread of the fungus. Cold water between 62 and 68 degrees Fahrenheit appears to help snails recover from fungus infections, although the survival rate of bad infections is still low.

Does that sound familiar?

Archived