Ich Medication Alongside Salt?

Guest Wilder

Guest Wilder

Hello, everyone! I've been reading around here for a bit, but finally got around to joining today. Just in time too, it seems. ;P

I recently set up a half-barrel water garden on my patio and wanted to add fish, so after browsing around decided on a pair of Ryukins. They seem to have such a personality that I couldn't resist. :) I already have a quarantine/hospital tank set up and running at home (I have kept tropicals and a comet goldfish for some time), so brought home a red and white Ryukin that day. They were out of the calicos of the same size, so I decided to look around elsewhere or wait until their next shipment came in.

Well, little Irwin has been doing great since I got him a week and a half ago. He'll come up to the glass and wiggle and play and just look cute whenever you look at him. He ravenously devours brine shrimp, sinking pellets, peas, cucumbers, bloodworms, and the occasional bit of fruit. So imagine my dismay when I looked at him earlier and found my little fish covered in white sprinkles!

I don't know if he's had them since I brought him home and the tank temperature rising to 80 degrees the past couple of days both stressed him and accelerated the ich, or if there is some other reason, but I started treatment and hope I've got it right. Can you believe I've never dealt with ich before?

I did a small water change shortly after noticing the white sprinkles and then dissolved 1 1/8 tbsp aquarium salt in a jug of water and added that in. I have another batch mixed up and ready to administer in 12 hours. My main question through all this rambling is, should I add some ich medication? I have some on hand that was used to treat another issue with my tropicals, but says it's good for ich as well. It's Maracide from Mardel.

Irwin is acting like nothing is wrong with his world... swimming, active, attempting to eat the odd bit of debris that was being sucked up through the gravel vacuum... if it weren't for the bits of white you'd think there was nothing wrong with him!

Oh, as for tank params...

Ammonia and Nitrite are both 0, Nitrate is < 5 ppm. Ph is 8.1

Tank is a 5.5 gallon with a Penguin mini for filtration and added airstone

The tank normally gets a 20% water change once per week; with him in there I did a 30% when it was due. I use Biosafe to treat the water.

Irwin is currently the only fish, obviously, and is about 1.5 inches without tail and acting as healthy and hearty as he can. Except for the obvious 'grains of salt,' he shows no other complications.

So, do I add some Maracide (or something else) or just let the salt do its work alone? I don't want to stress him any more than he must be.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. :)

Hi there Wilder and :welcome

Thanks for supplying so much info - makes it much easier :D

If it were me? I'd just stick to the salt. You may just need to keep an eye on the ich's cycle as your tank is already at 80 so as you say, it's speeding it up some.

Salt is a great destroyer of ich so you've already got that covered with salting to 0.3% - the only thing i'd do in addition (and as it's a small tank - it'll make it easier) is vacuuming the gravel each day to try and remove any of the tomites....

So i'd keep going as you are and keep the meds on the shelf for another day :)

Hope this helps :)

Guest Wilder

Hello, JenW, and thank you! :)

I now have the tank fully salted. Irwin was less than happy last night, having his fin clamped and only mouthing at his food (then again, it was a new type I was offering, so maybe that was it). Today he's still swimming actively, but frequently I see him at the top of the tank, just hanging there. I think I'll have to add another, bigger airstone... he hasn't quite been gasping, but I can imagine he's not thrilled with the warmer water and the salt. I hope he'll be okay through all this.

Thanks again.

Guest Wilder

Well, we're on day four of treatment and Irwin isn't looking good at all. He's sitting on the bottom of the tank, fins clamped and barely moving. The tank is still at 80-82 degrees and salted. He ate his brine shrimp just fine last night and was a bit active, but now I'm starting to worry about him. How long should it take for the ich to drop off of him? I'm afraid the high temperatures and salt will harm him more at this point, but so far have been patient and resisted the urge to do a water change with unsalted water. :( Will he be able to stand that level of salt and the high temperatures until the ich are gone? I know he should still be treated for several days after all the spots have gone, but will that be okay for him? Is it normal for a fish to act that way while being treated for ich?

I suppose what has me worried and wondering most is if he's feeling so bad because of the ich or because I have him too warm and in salty water. Poor fish!

Hi Wilder,

I don't think the higher temp should affect Irvin too much, but I'd keep an eye on him nonetheless. Try to see him when he sleeps, that way you know if the salt is affecting his flotation. If he needs to stuggle to float properly, the salt would be stressing him.

Hope this is useful.

Slugger :)

Hi there Wilder - does it actually look like little grains of salt? I'm just worried it may be something else.... they should have dropped off him by now :blink:

Is there any chance of a pic? I just want to make sure it's the right thing we're treating...

Please post back soon :)

Guest Wilder
Hi there Wilder - does it actually look like little grains of salt? I'm just worried it may be something else.... they should have dropped off him by now  :blink:

The spots started dropping off last night, and were more or less gone this morning. Unfortunately, the same is true of Irwin. He was dead when I woke up.

There's nothing quite so good at putting a damper on your day as waking up to find a creature you've taken charge of dead and wondering what you could have done better. I know ich can be a pain to deal with, but I didn't think it could kill a fish THAT fast, which makes me wonder if I killed him by following the salt and heat treatment. When he started to have floating problems I did a water change and replaced some of the salted water with unsalted, and that perked him up a bit... but I suppose it wasn't enough.

I broke down the hospital/quarantine tank and gave it a good hot saltwater wash and then let everything dry completely. The thin layer of gravel was tossed. Having to tear down a cycled tank is no fun, let me tell you, especially when it's because your fish has died.

Thanks for the help anyway, everyone... I guess some things just aren't meant to be.

Archived