My Goldie Needs A Diagnosis

Guest FishBuddy

Guest FishBuddy

Ok, my oranda has developed a hard to see whiteish layer on the top of his body. I just removed some planted bulbs, that had fuzzy white stuff on them. I caught him sleeping in a cave, just laying there, and when I tapped on the glass he came out, and I noticed the layer of white. I thought he was dead but when he came out, he was swimming just fine.

Is it a fungus? If so what can I do to get rid of it? I would take pictures, but I have such a bad algae problem, it would not show on camera. And I can't buy the bristlenose to clean the algae untill I get the problem resolved :(

Thanks in advance

Guest FishBuddy

Update:

Ok, now he is in the top corner of the tank, slowly sinking down in one spot, motionless. I hope somebody responds soon, I need get something fast. :crp

white layer? could be a fungus, i'll have a dig about see if i can find anything, in the meantime could you answer as many of these questios as possible - thanks :)

Ammonia Level

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

What kind of Filtration?

How often do you change the water and how much?

What kind of Water additives or conditioners?

Any Medications add to the tank?

How many fish in the tank and there size?

Add any new fish to the tank?

What do you feed your fish?

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus?

Any unusual behavior? Like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

If you can what is the chloramines Level from the Tap?

Guest FishBuddy

Right now, I only have a PH Test kit, but when I run up to mmm, I will have them test my water tongiht.

Ammonia Level - NA

Nitrite Level?- NA

Nitrate level?- NA

Ph Level?- 8.6

Ph Level out of the Tap? - 8.6

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? - 29 gallons, running for 3 months now.

What kind of Filtration? - Power Filter. Auqua-Tech 20-40. 160 gallons per hour.

How often do you change the water and how much? - I change it once a week, but I was treating ich a week ago, so twice or more as of late.

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? Amquel +, just ran out so have been using Aqua Safe, till tonight.

Any Medications add to the tank? Rid Ich + 2 days ago.

How many fish in the tank and there size? - 3, all a little over an inch.

Add any new fish to the tank? - One oranda about a week in a half ago. (The fish with troubles.)

What do you feed your fish? - Wardley Total Goldfish Flakes

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? - The ich has been gone for 3 days now, but now has developed a hard to see whiteish layer on his upper body.

Any unusual behavior? Like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? - Staying in one corner of the tank, slightly tilted towards the dropping slowly.

If you can what is the chloramines Level from the Tap? - NA

looked up some info on fungus... symptons: patches of white-ish fuzzy puffs(cotton like) attached to its skin. I am not really familiar with US medications, here is link to meds page. Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgable will be along soon. good luck, keep us posted :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=12558

okay when they test the wtaer, ask them to write it down so you can tell us :) i'm not sure it is a fungal problem, as it is just after ich... humm.... i'll keep thinking & looking :)

Guest FishBuddy

Thanks so much! I'll be sure to go in with pen and paper :)

I'll be buying salt, and Melafix right off the bat, just in case. I've never salted before, but I see the many articles on how much to use on here, so I shouldn't have a problem with that. Just to be sure though, should I salt so soon after treating for Ich?

hi

when you say its hard to see, can you only see it from a certain angle, such as head on? is it in patches or covering one area?

Guest FishBuddy

It is in one area, and you only see it when he is close to the light. I have to wait till my grilfriend comes back from work with the laptop before I can take a picture. I think I'll do that, before I head out to mmm. She should be home in an hour. Another symptom I have noticed is he keeps opening and shutting his mouth.

One more sypmtom, evertime I leave the room, he goes into the cave and lies there motionless. As soon as I come in, he comes out.

Don't mind the algae, as I plan on getting a Bristlenose after I cure this problem.

Guest FishBuddy

Here are the pictures I have. The light enhances the white film, it's not as bad as the picture looks. Sorry the pictures aren't the greatest ;)

Picture008.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Guest FishBuddy

That sounds an aweful lot like what he has. Ok, I just got back from vvvv, and my water perams checked out good.

Alkalinity - 40

Hardness - Moderate

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 0

Ammonia- 0

I bought some Doc Wellfish's Aquarium Salt, and will add that. According to the article, salt should do the job. :D Hope it works -Fingers crossed.

Guest FishBuddy

I added part of the salt last night, and he allready seems to be doing better. :thumbup The film is still there, but he seems to be swimming nomally now, and breathing normally. I'll be adding the second dose of salt before I go to work, and the last before I go to bed.

Guest FishBuddy

Sorry it wouldn't let me edit my last post.

I have one question about the salt. On the package it says the salt will not evaporate. Should I not do any water changes untill this disease is gone? And if I do need to do a water change before the disease is gone, how much salt do I put back in?

Continue your regular water changes and add salt to replace what you take out. I also use Doc Wellfish salt. I believe the dosage on the label is a maintenance dose or .1%. (heads out to kitchen to get container)

Yep, the dosage of half teaspoon per 4 litres (1 gallon) is for a general tonic and stress reducer, presumably at .1%, which is the commonly accepted level for maintenance.

For salt to be effective against parasites you need a dosage of .3% for a minimum of 14 days. So, if you haven't already done so I would recommend that you triple the dosage on the instructions. I would increase the dose over 2 further instalments so as not to shock your fish.

Good luck.

Ok, now I'm going to be totally confusing, are you prepared? ;)

Usually, it is recommended to use 3 x teaspoon of salt per gallon to reach .3% concentration. Tripling Doc Wellfish's instructions would be using 3 x half teaspoons. Why the difference?

I think DW's instructions are to be taken literally, ie. half a metric teaspoon = 2.5ml. I compared a metric spoon measure to a regular teaspoon and half a metric teaspoon is approximately equal to one regular teaspoon. So, if using a metric measure triple DW's dosage. If using a regular smallish teaspoon use 3 teaspoons per gallon.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Guest FishBuddy

Thank You! I was only planning to dose .1%. I certainly need to increase what I have added. --My fish and I would be a mess with out the help of this board. Thanks, I appreciate it :D

Has your PH always read 8.6? That's awful high,and high Ph will definitately cause excess slime coat,and other problems you're having.I also noticed two other things.You've mentioned that you're tank has been running around three months,and yet your water Parameter's are all reading zero? You should have some sort of Nitrate Level for a cycled tank.You also have a filter that's producing 160 gph.For a 29 gal. tank,you really need ten times the filtration for Goldies,so you need at least 290gph.You may want to look into buying a second filter.Did you isolate the new fish before you added him into your main tank? As for them having Ick,how long were they treated for that problem,and what medicine were you using? High Ph,with any ammonia level in it,will be far more toxic,& will produce excess slime coat,cause your fish to be listness,etc.Parasites etc. ,will also most definately cause alot of those same symptoms.I'm in agreement with the salt treatmeant also. If your fish continue with those same symptom's after the salt treatment -I would look into treating them for flukes,which salt doesn't completely take care of. Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes::lol:

Guest FishBuddy

Hi Devs. That was a mistake on my part. PH out of my faucet is ALLWAYS 8.6, results showed it to be 7.2. 8.4 - 8.6 is the average PH out of the entire NW Indiana area.

As far as the nitrate level being zero, I think the large algae growth is largely to blame. I do have another filter, a small one, and have tried it, but it just creates to large of a current in my tank. It is just too much on the fish.

I did not QT him, as I don't have a 2nd tank right now. (One is on the way though, and the one I'm using will be the QT.) So, I was fully prepared for Ich since it is relativley easy to treat. But definitley did not expect the white coating.

After the first 2 initial doses of salt, my oranda (which I haven't named yet ;) ) has significantly improved. Some of the white is allready dissapearing, his gill functions have normalized, and he is no longer bottom sitting :D

Every thing is looking forward, and if I see any more odd occurances, I'll definitley check for flukes.

Thanks so much.

FishBuddy

Archived