Aren't Danios Supposed To Be Compatible?

Guest ZekeAvy

Guest ZekeAvy

Ok im totally freaking out here, I thought danios were compatible with goldfish-- i have three in a 30 gallon tank with my other two fantails and yesterday i noticed that one of the danios has a big chunk missing out of his tail. the other two like to pick on him so i wasnt that surprised but this morning i looked in and my fantail has a bite out of her tail now!!!! WHAT DO I DO? I'm so mad im thinking of just taking all the danios out and putting them in their own tank..... any suggestions on why they would be acting up?

Guest Chishower

The goldfish might see the danios as lunch...plus, the danios are more tropical than goldfish typicaly are. Some of them get along, but if yours dont you should separate them before someone else gets hurt. :(

Guest ZekeAvy

ok yeah thats the wierd thing, its not the goldfish seeing the danios as lunch, i wouldnt mind that as much, but its the danios seeing the goldfish as lunch! and the danios seem to be eating each other too? weird. any idea why

Guest Mfish

Could be water temperature. You have to acclimate danios to lower temperature slowly. Also danios do better in groups of at least five so they won't pick on each other.

Guest ZekeAvy

hmmm ok the temp is def an option and i do only have three... too bad no one told me that when i was BUYING the danios lol....

... will my fantail be okay though? she only has a tiny bite on her tail and she doesn't seem affected by it at all... she's a pretty hardy fish haha... but do you think she'll be ok? the danio that got bit is sulking but he seems to be recovering...

Are you sure the danio took a bite out of your fantails tail? I'd be more inclined to blame it on another goldfish.

I've kept them together for 3 years with no incidence of either type chasing the other. Try increasing the amount of food, aggressive fish can sometimes be hungry fish.

edit: sometimes daninos pick on other daninos. You could add a couple more daninos for distraction and/or add some tall plants (real or fake) for the danino to hide in if it's getting bullied.

Archived