Goldfish Picking On Pleco

Queenie

My goldfish, all of them are picking on Whiskers my bristlenose. They gang up on him and steal his algae wafers. I had him in the 75 gal. and they would not let him eat, so I moved him to the 47 gal. with the smaller fish and they ganged up on him and stole his algae wafer. I gave the goldfish some algae wafers of their own but they were not happy with that. I have never seen them bully one another but they sure pick on Whiskers. :(

:lol: Hey Queenie,Alas, Whisker's is not alone! It has taken some real imagination on my part to try & figure out ways to feed my Bristlenose's & some snails that I have in the bigger tanks.For one thing,have you tried feeding the little guys at night when the tank lights go out? It has to be completely dark in the room too,or my Piggy Goldfish spot the wafers somehow! :lol: I have also at times broken them in half so they wouldn't be as noticeable to the Goldfish,but then one almost choked because he tried to swallow it whole & got it stuck. :o (The Goldie of course!) :rolleyes: I have also learned to put lots of cover for the Plec's.I have hidey holes,and plants in corner's of the tank to drop them behind,so that the Bristles are kind of hidden that way.And believe it or not,som of the guys have gotten bold enough as to where they know to hold on tight and not be bullied so easily. Frozen Turtle Cubes,and Spirulina flakes are good too because they fall all around in tiny pieces-therefore giving the Plec's a go at it.Hope this helps/

Queenie, have you ever seen your plecos eat the wafers? If so, what brand are you using?

I was having a similar problem with my plecos and goldies so I got a new 6.5g for the plecos to live and eat in peace. It didn't work, they wouldn't eat anything I offered them over a period of about a week and one of them died. Now I only have 2. (small 2" bristlenose plecos)

I found out that aside from algae, driftwood is their favourite food, they actually eat it! :o So I bought 2 pieces of driftwood and put each pleco in a different goldfish tank. They have been there for about 2 weeks now and are thriving. I can tell they eat the driftwood because their little poops float above the filter mat. :lol:

One pleco eats all the algae and that tank is sparkling clean. The other one is a bit more choosey and doesn't really go for the brown algae so I guess she is mainly eating driftwood and other debris/leftoevers she finds on the floor. But whatever is going on they are both definately eating and pooping and look very healthy and active.

edit: ditto to Devs with spirulina flakes, also vege flakes. They sort of dissolve into tiny bits and it looks like it's snowing green stuff as they sink to the bottom but the plecos come out and forage amongst the gravel with the goldies to get some. btw the cheeky rascals wouldn't eat it when they were in their own tank, they must have been protesting and gone on a hunger strike. :lol:

Thanks Devs and Annette. Yea, I have fed them when it is totally dark. They know when I put the food in and whiskers jumps on it. But the goldfish know he has food and they gang up on him relentlessly. I have seen him try to hang on to the wafer. I'm going to keep him in with these smaller fish and add some more hiding places.

Annette, it's Hilkari brand algae wafers, he seems to really like them. I had know idea that they would eat drift wood.

Guest Chishower

I had the same exact problem with mine!

So I shoved all the plants and his chunk of driftwood (you should really get one) in the corner, so at least he can have a place to hang without getting nibbled on. Now, though, the goldies just hover above it all..waiting for him to come out.

Unless I walk by, because then its time to beg for food.

That's what mine have been doing Lucy-Fish. Because I have plants on the bottom on the aquarium where Whiskers can hide but the goldies just root their way to him. Stinkers! :D

Perhaps your goldies pick on the plecos because they associate them with food? ie. find a pleco and I'll find an algae waffer ^_^

My plecos don't get any special food, they forage amongst the goldies at feeding time and my goldies never pick on the them. In fact the goldies will go around the plecos and not even peck them at feeding time.

My plecos don't get any special food, they forage amongst the goldies at feeding time and my goldies never pick on the them.

I wish whiskers would do that but he doesn't come out when I feed the goldies. He usually only comes out at night. I know there is not enough algae for him to eat and I'm afraid he'll starve. I've even given the goldies their own wafer but they are not happy with that. They want his wafer. Just like kids. :rofl

Archived