Please Help.

tinkerbell

i came home last night and i found my beautiful calico ryukin stuck behind the heater

i took him out, and he has a huge hole in his side, where its just been burnt off. i just crie and cried and cried coz i felt so bad about it.

i shouldnt even have the stupid heater in there, but i was looking after a couple of my brothers friends gouramis, and i had no other place to put them.

i feel so bad. i have spent all of last night crying my eyes out, and i can hardly open them this morning.

i just hope to god that my poor little baby doesnt die.

i cant even look at him without bursting into tears.

what can i do to help the little guy? salt and melafix have been suggested, is tre anything else?

:crying::crying::please

I am so sorry to hear this. You shouldn't blame yourself, it was an accident, and unfortunately these things happen :hug

The most important thing you can do for a wound like that is keep the water absolutely pristine. Good water will be the best thing for healing. I once had a betta get stuck in a gravel vac and he had a huge wound in his side. He survived and healed and lived a normal life after that. I just worked really hard to keep the water pristine in his tank.

I also added a low dose of salt. Use 1 teaspoon per gallon to get a 0.1% solution.

Other than that, we will just keep our fingers and fins crossed.

Please keep us posted.

:( Hey Tinkers,so sorry about the accident. As touchofsky stated,Pristene water is the utmost important factor on your fish healing from this.Definately do a water change,and watch those Parameter's like crazy. Keeping that water spot on,will hopefully help from any secondary infections coming on.Good Luck Hun. :heart Match those water temps too.

ok, i have just done a 65 - 70% water change. he is still in the tank with all my other goldies, coz i really dont want to stress him out by moving him.

anything else i can dowhilst waiting for melafix etc?

I read the quote in Emma's thread where the fish recovered in pristine water and salt, so you're off to a good start. Melafix is handly to have around anyway so it is not a wasted purchase. Just add some when it arrives.

He may heal yet - i'm praying he does. You've done everything you can so hopefully all will be well.

I can't remember where I read this but i recall reading an article on something a bit similar and the author advised reducing the depth of water considerably as it takes a lot of the pressure off them - especially if they're trying to heal. Maybe worth a try?

My fingers are crossed :heart

Hi Tinkerbell,

Sorry for your loss.

I know it doesn't help, but it was an accident.

If ever you use a heater again, perhaps you could get a plastic heater guard to stop a recurrence?

Slugger

Archived