Kissy

Well, a small betta like yours would definately be young - they are born small. But, there comes a time when they are full grown and you can no longer tell their age by their size.

Florissa made a good point, I'll emphasize. Even small bettas may be a good year or two old, stunting and genetics play a major role in the fish growth. Two of my girls are 7 months and tiny little things while another 7 month female is a bit longer and much thicker. There are "giant" bettas so there can quite possibly be "dwarf" bettas as there are too dwarf gouarmis which are in the anbanatoid (oy, I've got so many misspellings in this sentence) family with bettas. To answer your question more directly, it's almost near impossible to know 'exactly' how old a betta is by their size.

EDIT: vvvv bettas are at the very least 10 months old because that's the safest age to ship large quantities of bettas. Commercial stores buy from commercial retailers that breed them till old enough to ship out. I've had nice chats with my local store about where/how they get their bettas and fish, this is not a vvvv/co though so it can differ.

Archived