Beat Up Betta

Guest Chishower

Guest Chishower

Ok, here is the problem.

I was spawning my bettas, which is a very violent process (and then the male went and ate all the eggs! :angry: ) and the female got pretty beat up.

So I have been doing daily partial water changes to keep her water perfect. She looked to be healing up, her fins are healing, her open wounds are gone, but she is starting to act lethargic.

She sits at the top of the water with her fins clamped unless I bother her, and tonite she has started spitting out her food.

Arg...I thought she was getting better! Any ideas? :(

Guest Mfish

If you had your breeding tank heated you should sustain the same temperature in you females tank.

:idont I don't really have much help.

Sorry. :(

:unsure: If your Parameter's are spot on,I guess it's possible that she may have gotten a secondary infection from the open wounds she suffered from. Is she swollen,is she eating/pooping okay?

Guest Chishower

She is actually thinner from losing so many eggs, and she isnt eating at all. As for poo, there is some in her bowl and it looks normal.

Another weird thing, the other day she randomly dropped a batch of unfertlized eggs...maybe 600 of them..they were EVERYWHERE. x.x I dont know if that is a bad sign or not, but it got her a full bowl cleaning.

Her gills look very swollen, though. They cant close all the way, and I am thinking that that is the reason she isnt eating.

Maybe she was holding all those extra eggs inside and it was hurting her? When did she drop the eggs? Egh...I don't know too much about bettas but I hope she does okay :\

Definantly keep her temp nice and toasty and her water stats level. If she's in a female community tank maybe let her have some peace and quiet away from the others till she feels better.

Good to know those fins are healing, they clear up quite fast. As for the gills not closing you can add 1 tbsp (I really only do half doses so 1/2 tbsp) of aquarium salt in to add electrolytes which helps gill function. If there is any pine-coning or loss of colour get an interior bacterial/parasidic medication quick as you can. I hope for the best with her! Spawning is such a rough proccess, haha why can't the buggers just "love" eachother once in a while?

Guest Chishower

After a few days of daily water changing, medicating, salting, she is starting to look better. She still floats around with clamped fins, but has started eating again. Thats a huge plus.

Archived