Do You Test Your Own Water?

Guest GF_Indiana

Yes - I got mine at either mmm or vvvv nearby. I suppose if you needed to get one online I'd prob go to Big Al's - they have great prices!

I have ammonia, pH, nitrite, nitrate (& I have to admit it - I also use the strip tests for quick checks but I don't recommend them for people just starting out or cycling tanks. They're just too unreliable)

Hope this help!

Jenn

Yep,

I would also recommned vvvv or mmm...They are around 30 bucks here or so give or take a few bucks..I like the test tube kind...Just be careful you don't break em cause I was out on the prowl for just the tubes for a couple of members here and I just can't find them ne where!!

Welcome aboard.... :D

I have tons of extra plastic tubes - I bought them at Science Surplus - I just measure the amount of water needed and make a mark on the side with an indelible pen...... I will send you a few.

The Aquarium Phar. drop kits are my favorites. As others have said, they take a bit more time, but are easier to read than the dip strip tests.

You should have ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and kH. Having a gH is also nice. I also have a salt test.

There is a master kit available in vvvv and mmm. BigAls is also a good source. I have found that use the different tests up in substantially different amounts - when cycling I use the ammonia test up very quickly. Once cycled, the nitrate tests and pH tests are gone more often. Aquar. Pharm. tests are also available in individual boxes - so you can buy just the test kit you need to replace out of your master kit - no huge outlay for things you do not need.

As far as not breaking the test tubes, I have taken a block of oak and drilled holes into it so the tubes stand in the holes and do not roll and fall on the floor and break.

Red Sea has some good water tests, too. Their test tubes are rectangular and plastic. They hold the same as the Aquar. Pharm. tubes - and are interchangable. I have made a collection of them, also. They stand up on their own and do not break when dropped.

post-27-1120655456_thumb.jpg

The Aquarium Phar. drop kits are my favorites. As others have said, they take a bit more time, but are easier to read than the dip strip tests.

357103[/snapback]

My favorite too! I got a master kit from Big Als Online and it was very reasonable--a lot less than vvvv. It comes with everything but the nitrate kit which I bought separately.

:D

Wow Daryl,Great idea! I'll have to see if I can come up with a block of wood. :lol: I also have to admit that I am low on tubes too. :( Over time,I collected a few,but I have alot of tanks. One day about a month ago,I was testing all the Params,had the tubes all lined up,and the Cat,Cosmo jumped onto the table and tubes went flying everywhere! :rolleyes: Does that Science Surplus have a Web site? :yeah: Checking all those Params with a couple of tubes leaves a long day of checking. :lol:

indeed, i too need more tubes!!!

and mmm has better prices on the test kits, as far as i know. but of course, big als is the cheapest all around :)

American Science Surplus does have a web site:

Here is the lab equipment page....

http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?terms=te...s&searchby=name

Here is a BIG screw top vial (too big)....

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=7&category=78

I am not finding the exact ones that I have - I just found them in a bin - the store is a jumble of stuff - bins and boxes everywhere on the floor and the shelves. You just have to kind of dig through it all to see what is there. They are small - about the size of the test tubes that come in the water testing kits and cost .15 cents apiece ( I found the stickers still on them). They have screw tops.

post-27-1120741011_thumb.jpg

I love the masterkit as well :) I don't recommend the strip kind, because they aren't as reliable, the range is kinda small, and they are pretty expensive with the amount of strips they give you. Also, never use mediocre testing supplies. That is how I killed one of my fish :(

i have the Aquarium Pharm tests and it works great. vvvv has them for $25.00, but if you print the Aquarium Pharm tests from vvvv.com, its only $15. bring that copy to the local vvvv and they'll give you lowest price.

American Science Surplus does have a web site:

Here is the lab equipment page....

http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?terms=te...s&searchby=name

Here is a BIG screw top vial (too big)....

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=7&category=78

I am not finding the exact ones that I have - I just found them in a bin - the store is a jumble of stuff - bins and boxes everywhere on the floor and the shelves. You just have to kind of dig through it all to see what is there. They are small - about the size of the test tubes that come in the water testing kits and cost .15 cents apiece ( I found the stickers still on them). They have screw tops.

357705[/snapback]

Thanks Daryl,for the Web site! I will try to look over it today! :heart

If you get it at vvvv check the on-line price first it is usually a good bit cheaper on-line, just print the screen showing the lower price & they will match it. I have done this before, ( I got a good saving on my Python that way!) I am pretty sure all the big chains do price matching. :blink:

i just got to thinking reading this....i wouldnt trust mmm's to do your water testing. at least in my experience, they do the little dippy thing, and glance, tell you your water is perfect, when in reality, its SO far from perfect. i learned this the hard way, after they told me that my water was perfect, but i had nitrAtes around 160 and nitrItes at like 6 or so.. :yikes

I tested my water once at the petstore after a fish died and I didn't have a testing kit yet. The lady was very unhelpful and not very friendly. Then again, the petstores around here are just horrible, disease and employee-wise

Archived