Algae Eater With 2 Goldfish?

Guest GF_Indiana

Guest GF_Indiana

I have two goldfish (both are Ryukin) and I have 1 small algae eater. Is it okay to have the algae eater in the same tank as them? They have been in the same tank for about a week now and everything seems fine, but I don't know if there will be problems down the road that I am not aware of at this time.

Thanks,

GFI

Unfortunately,Algae Eater's really can't be trusted.They've been known to chase after Goldies at times too. I had one almost 8 years.For his last year of his life,he ended up sharing a tank with three small Oranda's.Seemed like when the babies got big enough,Mr. Magoo started chasing and harassing them.I caught him trying to suck on them a few times.I noticed one morning that the one Goldfish had strange red blood like markings on it's side,and knew the tank was fine,so I actually suspected him for he was always on the ornery side.Anyway,it was him. The Algae eater may be okay as it's small,but who knows as it grows,and on the other side,your goldfish will grow faster than him,and also may try him out too. :yikes

There are other breeds of plecos aside from the common (the one most often sold in pet stores) to eat the algae in your tank. You can try snails as well.

My algae eater ate the eye out of one of my fish a few weeks ago :blink: , so he lives in his own tank now! He was rather small when I got him, and never bothered the fish. But now he's nearly 6 inches and a real danger to them. It's too bad that so many pet stores sell common plecos with their goldfish, I never dreamed he'd hurt them.

The best choice, imo, for the goldfish tank, is the ancistrus, (commonly called the bristlenosed pleco, sometimes called bushynosed pleco).

These stay small (under 5"), and they remain algae eaters all of their lives and are very good at it, too :)

Guest FishBuddy

The bushynose pleco or bristlenose is one of the few plecos a goldfish will do well with. They don't have the nasty habit of sucking on the goldfish's slime, and as touchofsky said, they stay algae eaters.

Archived