Question About Missing Fin And Swimming Balence?

bulma75

Ive had this comet goldfish since october, and when I bought him I noticed he has a fin missing (Its like where an arm would be on a human-he has 1 on the side which moves like crazy and theres nothing on the other side-the only other fins he has are on his stomach/bottom and of course dorsal(?) and tail..)

so I and everyone whos seen him concur that he is missing a fin.

I was wondering, if a fish is missing a fin, will that affect theyre ability to stay upright all the time when swimming? Because Ive noticed this fish swims tilted at times and at first I thought he was just constipated or bloated but he looks fine (not swelled up anywhere-scales fine) and his poop was never white or stringy

when I noticed he was tilted I fasted him and gave him peas, hed be fine again but very often he seems to be "tilted" sometimes hes completely upright, but others, again, tilted :blink:

he never shows signs of illness (never clamped fins, or laying at the bottom etc) and I keep him in his own 10 gallon (filtered, conditioned, etc)

so basically I want to know if having 1 fin can make a fish swim tilted because maybe he doesnt want to work as hard to stay upright all the time?

Guest Chishower

It could be that, or it could be a light touch of swim bladder disorder. Is he tilted toward the side with the missing fin?

Guest Phreno

I think the swim bladder controls their balance, I think the front fins are mainly for steering. So the only problem from a missing fin might be having trouble making turns. I don't know for sure though...

"It could be that, or it could be a light touch of swim bladder disorder. Is he tilted toward the side with the missing fin?"

yes, he is always tilted towards where the missing fin should be

Archived