Decorations...

Guest JustJayde

Guest JustJayde

I saw that fish need hidey places to feel safe....

I don't have money to buy more than 1 hidey toy for now, because I need to get a cover first...

are there things around the house that would be safe to put in the tank for him?

Any ideas would be great :)

I read that plastics can be poisonous to them...

think "things around the house" plz :D

Sorry for so many threads/posts at once. Total newbie and I would rather look stupid and have a healthy happy fish than do the wrong things and have a sick pet. *blush*

Hehe, hello again, no worries with the questions.

Terra cotta pots used for plants look nice on their side and are totaly goldfish safe. All you have to do it soak it in water for a day, give it a good soap-free scrub down and plop it into the tank.

Vases on their side also look nice and fish seem to love going in only to find out "Hey! I can see through but I can't get through?" :lol: Makes their minds tick, just mind them if they get stuck, or be sure the entry is big enough that they can tun around in it which prevents them getting trapped in the first place.

EDIT: (to add) Hmm, basicly any glass is goldie safe. I'm not totaly sure on ceramics, plastics or clay though. ;)

I second the terra cotta recommendation. They're like 40 cents! Sometimes you can ask for broken ones and they'll give them to you free. Just make sure to sand down the rough edges or coat them with sealant so they don't cut the fishies.

Guest JustJayde

If they like clear glass what about a jar? I have a tiny jar I could boil and clean and lay in there on its side? that might be fun to watch as long as he cant get hurt :D

Archived