Water Chemisty Questions

Guest jshearman

Guest jshearman

Mr. Charlie is not his perky little self and hasn't been eating right for a few days now. I can't figure out what's wrong. He's in a 30 gallon by himself. I change 50% of the water once a week. I add 3 tbs aquarium salt each time.

Current parameters...

Nitrate 10 ppm

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0-.5 (can't figure out why this isn't a solid 0 -- seems to be one way one day, one way the other)

Ph 7.5

50 ppm KH

200 ppm GH (I think -- the yellow to green change is a bit hard to read)

Could it be something to do with the carbonate/general hardness? Or maybe the salt? I can't find a salinity meter to measure that low so I try to just add what I remove.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. I spoke to the LFS -- this place is usually pretty good and the guy told me to lower the Ph to 6.8 and add more salt. He said the ammonia was the problem, but I don't buy that.

Guest Chishower

PH is not the problem, I can tell you that much, nor is hardness. My PH is 8.2 and my GH and KH are both over 300ppm and I have had zero problems.

The ammonia could be irritating him a little, but I dont know why that would make him stop eating...maybe a parasite or bacteria got to him? I'm really just throwing ideas out there, but at least I can say your water looks great.

You could try not adding salt for a few changes to see if that helps.

Guest jshearman

I can do another 50% change and skip the salt to see if that helps. Poop seems to be OK. Looks like it goes in :-) Haven't added anything to the tank recently and it's bare bottom so I don't think it would be that. Maybe he's just bored with his Pro-Gold? I could try some Salad Supreme or some peas...

Archived