How Did You Choose Names

Guest JustJayde

Guest JustJayde

So how did everyone choose the names for their fish?

I am going to name mine fishie ;) because I think it is cute when kids name their pets something so obvious.

I haven't found him yet, but I will know him when I see him waiting for me in a tank :heart

Guest Chishower

My fish get named whatever little pet name I start calling them without thinking about it. Actually, thats how all my pets get named.

Most of mine are 24 charicters

two of them are plumbers since they almost where flushed

and finally, alicia witt was named after the actress (the fish is redheaded too)

Hhhmmm...let's see

Big Boy.....well pretty obvious.

Sash...a ryukin looks white w/ orange sash across top

Willy & Nilly.....2 fantail always flitting all over the place

Stubbie...Ryukin w/ very short tail

Spot...well once again pretty obvious

I always feel like the name just comes to me! :huh:

LOL :rofl I named my pet hampster hammie, I love that name!!!!! I just think of it at the top of my head, usuaklly it comes from the media, I have:

Cloud-(White) Glod Fantail

Famke- Gold Fantail

Raidence- Calico Fantail

Snickerdoodlebob- Lionhead

Mr.Boljangles- Apple snail

Snickers- Dojo :tbanana

Most of my fish are named by their markings or personality. I have a small calico fantail in the 55 gal. with 4 other fish. Had him for two months before i named him. His name is Spanky because he is the little rascal of the tank. :lol:

I liked the bit about acting out their names...

That's exactly how my redcap got his name. He's silver/white, so his scales kinda look like armor. So I was thinking about knight-type names, and there's King Arthur, and Sir Lancelot, and this fish likes to hang out in the middle of the tank, towards the top -- where you can see him, and he can see you -- and just flap his gums.

Constantly. It's like, Hungry! Starving! Feed me! Mom! Hungry Fish! It never works, but he thinks one day I'll just give up and feed him more, I guess.

So his name is Sir Talks-A-Lot. It fits. :D

--Mav

I name them by markings, behavior, or appearance such as Spot, Tweaker, and Beauty. I also name some really cool names I know of, this one fish who seemed to lead the school a lot in the pond I named Charlemagne and this placid all white one I named Clementine.

Jayde, I named my betta Fishfish, so don't feel uncreative. Names like that are fun.

I also have...

Beyonce: So named because she was the only survivor of a batch of six sick fishies. (Platy)

Bop: Named after Hale-bopp, the comet, because of the "comet" markings on her tail. (Platy)

I had...

Carrot: She looked like a carrot -- orange and wedge-shaped. (Platy)

iSnail: Apple snail. Get it? Haha!

Sherlock and Watson: Sold as "mystery snails"; Watson was a baby that came riding in on the back of Sherlock.

Guest JustJayde

Oh... I love the name I chose! hehehe no worries there~

I just love to hear how people name their pets! so much creativity and thought goes into each and every pet. It's amazing!

I just depends. If I buy 2 fish together I like to name them a couple, Adam & Eve;

Sonny & Cher, Lucy & Desi.

But if I get one single I just choose names by the fishes characteristics. Tiny because he was so tiny when I got him; Moo Moo because he is black and white when I got him (even though that is changing now), etc..

mine are all named 'fish' in different languages :) now, im getting away from it, since i used up all hte ones i liked the sound of and could easily pronounce.

Lily(she was the first, so i named her off the top of my head)

Pez (spanish)

Ryba (bosnian/croatian)

Sakana(translated japanese)

Psa Ri (modern greek)

Kala(finnish)

Mahi(persian)

Balki(turkish)

Fische(german)

Moses (another name from nowhere "holy moses look at that fish!")

Machhli(urdu)

and my bettas are all named after out neighbors (stanley and alvin)

the snails are all named slimey, gooey, sticky sounding names

and the loaches are named eely, snakey names :)

mine are all named 'fish' in different languages  now, im getting away from it, since i used up all hte ones i liked the sound of and could easily pronounce.

That's a really neat idea.

Guest Sacreligioushippie

My first two fish were Poseidon & Neptune, after the greek & roman gods of the sea. My new pearscale is orange & white with a touch of black & these big blue eyes. I named him Phoenix, for the orange & white & his long tail. I'm waiting to find the perfect Ryukin who I intend to name Quasimodo (kinda mean, I know).

~ Jessica

Well.. im pretty bad about naming my fish. It takes me along time to come up with a name. Everytime I get a new fish.. its take me months before something clicks in my head. Like Mr. Orange.. I had him for a LONG time before I came up with his name. I had him atleast a year! My fiance called him Sharkie.... but it never sounded right.. and then one day while watching Resevour Dogs.... Mr. Orange just sounded right.

I hang with them for a while until a name comes to me - so it is probably a mix. of what's on the brain and what characteristice, quirks, and personality traits they demonstrate.

With some pets it is a little harder - like the frogs, or some Danios I had once - they got named One, Two and Three in Dutch so they were interchageable.

The more personality, the more dear the name!

(What am I going to do about those shrimp on the way...)

I usally do not name my pets, but then i have trouble telling about them to my frieunds so i usally end up thinking names right there on the spot :rofl

I usually get the names on how they look like or how silly they are.

Archived