Some Help

Guest FishBuddy

Guest FishBuddy

Im new here :D I have a 29 gallon tank with two small commets, and I think an Oranda. It's really cute, it is red and black, but it doesn't have the crown. Anyway, I'm having a couple issues with the tank.

The tank has been running for 2 months now, and is fully cycled.

First issue is algae growth. I leave the light on for 8 hours a day so my plants will grow, but it is helping the spread of Algae. (I really like bristlenose plecos, and am considering purchasing one.)

I planted 5 plant bulbs, and only one is growning. The others have gotten white fuzzy spots all over them??? Would really like to know what that is.

I just got my new Oranda, (at least I think it is an Oranda, I might take a pic if you think that would help) and he has ich. I've been trying Rid Ich + for 8 days now, and no improvement. (I'm not sure if it is ich though, because descriptions I've heard is it looks like salt, and his looks more like air bubbles.) Any alternatives to get rid of this problem?

Airbubbes? Maybe it is fungus? The Oranda is pushing your limits for your tank, though. You could have had ideally about 10 more gallons, commets need ALOT of room. About your plant issue, I don't know, I never tried real plants in my aquarium yet. But anyways.... :goodluck

Chris

Guest FishBuddy

I know, next month my grandfather is bringing me a 125 gallon tank up. They are fine for their size...for now. And they are commons, not commets. (I know they both get big so anyway.

If it is a fungus, what should I get to get rid of it? Yeah, he looks like he has 3 little airbubbles trapped on his tail.

You can look at the products in your Lfs.There are many that's good.Just read carefully that it doesn't have other effects like taking away the bacteria you need or salt and etc,etc.

Guest FishBuddy

I'm just trying to figure out what in the world they have before I medicate them any further. I want to be sure.

actually, sounds like fish lice to me. I would go for something that takes care of all outside parasites, like coppersafe. and dont add a pleco untill you can upgrade! Also, just a warning, watch the commons with a fancy, they can hurt a fancy very easily.

here is Sharky, my oranda with some good head growth

sharky5.jpg

if it doesnt have a wen (head growth) its prolly a fantail. :D but not all orandas have that much wen. it grows with age and good water.. and genetics!

Guest FishBuddy

Thanks alot, I'll try that out. Well right now the fancy is bigger and faster than the commons. LOL, the commons have a hard time getting food, and not the other way around. He is fast, and a hog jaws. I'm gonna go to mmm or vvvv and take a look at that coppersafe tonight.

PS ...anybody know why my bulbs have white stuff all over them?

Guest Chishower

I would say they died and are moulding. You might want to get them out of there before they hurt the fish.

I just got my new Oranda, (at least I think it is an Oranda, I might take a pic if you think that would help) and he has ich. I've been trying Rid Ich + for 8 days now, and no improvement. (I'm not sure if it is ich though, because descriptions I've heard is it looks like salt, and his looks more like air bubbles.) Any alternatives to get rid of this problem?

356700[/snapback]

Welcome to kokos!

An alternative way to treat ich is with aquarium salt and heating the tank water up to shorten the lifecycle.

If you are not sure that it is ich, it is better not add harsh medications since it could crash your cycle and harm your fish.

Please put a post in the disease diagnosis section and post a photo if you can. That way, others can help you figure out what it is.

Good luck! :)

:( I tried those plant pods too! Lucky for me only one died (you need to throw out those fuzzy ones!). They say they'll replace the bad ones, but I don't know the return policy and it might be cheaper to get another pack. Mine have grown into really nice plants!!

Archived