Strange Swiming

Guest ralph_evs

Guest ralph_evs

Hi everyone!!

I'm new to the fishie thingy and I have a little fishy that has been swiming a little strange lately (since my mom cleaned the tank) and he rolls and swims up side down and he looks like sick. If it is a broken fin, what should I do? Will it grow up again? Please answer, it's really urgent. I don't want my fishie to die!! (he wont...I'm sure ) Thanks for reading this! Ralph...

hi ralph and welcome to kokos :)

what kind of a fish is it? if the fish went all funny after your mum cleaned out the tank, could you tell us how she cleaned out the tank and could the fish have gone back into cooler water? what size tank is it and is it heated?

Guest ralph_evs

Yeah :D I first puted it in wrong forum :D Thanks for that Chishower :) Oh...the colors are different....but basicly the same form...the back part is like blue and purple, and the front part is yellow, and the eyes are black....Ermmm, I think she just puted the fishes in a bag with water meanwhile she cleaned the tank (with soap, my mummy wont stop from cleaning anything...believe me) and maybe when she took the fish away with the net, maybe he got hurt...maybe the fin...and then she filled the tank again with natural water at the same temp. that the other one was...so, that's it...I think...to me the most probable thing is that it broke his fin, if it did, will it come out again? (it has to :):D )

Guest Chishower

Forgive me for interupting again, but I think we have the problem.

Soap is very bad for fish, so that could be making him sick. You could try putting him in another container full of clean, soapless dechlorinated water to see if that helps.

Guest ralph_evs

You are NOT interupting!! Thanks!! And...wouldn't he feel too depressed if I put him alone in an empty tank?? :( I would feel lonely :(

Guest Chishower

Here:

If you have a spare tank, move the filter to it, fill it up with clean, dechlorinated water and move the fish into it. Make sure the temps match. Then take the old tank, dump the water, and rinse everything really really well, even the gravel, any plants, ect so there is no change of there being any soap residue on it. Fill it back up (you can use the water they are in at the moment) and put the filter back on.

If that doesnt help them in a few hours, then we know something else is bothering them.

How many other fish do you have in your tank? If its the soap that is hurting the fish, I would put all of them in a different container because soap hurts all fish. They might look okay, but the soap might be hurting them on the inside.

Guest ralph_evs

Ok, they're three, they're the same type, and only one fishie is doing what I say...

Oh, good news, he's acting better now (to me) :D I adore my fishie so I never stop looking at him :D Thanks you all!! But I would still want to hear some advices :)

Hi Ralph, Sounds like you found your problem if the fish are acting better. After you clean the soap out of your tank like the other member suggested, you will need to talk to your mom. Soap is poison to fish. When she cleans the tank, all she needs to do is vacuum the gravel with a gravel vac (you can get these at your local petstore...manual ones are only a few dollars (not sure how much where you are). They act as a siphon and pull the water and garbage/poop/spare food out of the gravel. She wants to remove 25% of the water (every 3 weeks or so for tropicals). She can also get an algae scraper to clean off the gunk off the side of the tank. That's all she needs to do. That and every month or so, change the cartridge in the filter (do NOT clean the entire filter). Make sure to replace the tank's water with water that is the same temperature as the rest of the water in the tank so the fishies don't get shocked.

Hope this helps...let us know if you or your mom have questions

Renee

Guest ralph_evs

So...I have been away...and I haven't had time to clean the tank, so, I'll clean it today, but my fish doesn't wants to eat, and I did, I puted the other fishie in another tank, but the sick one I left it in the "main tank" and one of my guppies......he passed away....the filter sucked him up...

Archived