Goldfish Get No Respect

Guest rme1964

Guest rme1964

I am reading one of my many 'fish' magazines that I get. I have had Goldfish in one form or another for around 20 years although I also keep tropical. In the magazine, what appears to be a newbie, ask how many Comet Goldfish he can keep in a ten gallon tank and how big can he expect them to get. I was surprised when the advice was he could could keep 4 to 6 comets in his arrangement. He was also instructed to include plenty of plants in this set up. How big they grow was never answered. All the comets I have had had (I have one that is six years old now) all grow fairly quickly and can get very big. I just can't imagine 6 in a ten gallon tank. Even worse for a new person it seems like a nightmare waiting to happen. I am going to have the rethink my choice in magazines.

RME

Guest Chishower

I'm having trouble imagining ONE comet in a ten gallon, let alone six! You should write a letter to this magazine letting them know of their mistake. Which magazine was it?

Yes! Please write to them! I went through this (and just with a fancy) - it is very upsetting for people who love animals to realize what a disservice they have done! The worst part is, by writing to a fish mag. to even ask, this poor guy (rightly) feels like he is doing his research! What a shocker it will be for him - and maybe a diappointment, too, if he can't provide a larger tank and filters and all that... I hate to think about what happens to some of those GF - freezers, toilets, and premature deaths due to illness and poor conditions :(

It seems that even people "in the trade" still equate goldfish care with tropicals... I saw a lot of sites that still say how easy GF are to care for - well, anything is if you have the right set-up - which may not be so easy to get!

Maybe you could write an article for them!

Guest rme1964

I have to admit I was suprised because it is a well known magazine and one that I have gotten for a few years. Although they mostly deal with tropicals they always usually have an article on Goldfish and Koi. I was just amazed at the answer to the question. It, well, took me by surprise.

RME

Was it Aquarium Fish Magazine? Lately they've had some not so "good" begginer advice. Like, in the last issue they told how "if properly set up" a betta can live in a vase. Although they said the vase should be one gallon, who is going to get one if they think they can go in vases? Honestly, I almost wrote to them. Please do, though, 4-6 commets in 10 gallons is DEFINANTLY something to correct them on.

found them!

http://www.mag-web.com/fama/

Now, guys, no attacking. Be civil if you plan on writing.. we dont want them to think all goldfish lovers are nut jobs... we dont wanna get a bad rep, got it? Or Magicks gunna come and get ya

I sent off an e-mail.. hopefully to the right person... hows it sound? (was trying to be professional)

I hope I have the right person! Anyways,

Recently your magazine had a question from a beginer about goldfish, and how many could be put into a 10 gallon tank. The responce was 6-10. Now most people who have owned goldfish for any length of time, have soon come to realize that a common goldfish can easily reach sizes of 10-16 inches long, and are a huge bio-load on the tank! From experiance, I would believe even one in a 10 gallon would be pushing the limit. I realize that opinions always differ on tanks and stocking, but honestly, if the fish were able to make it to maturity, six 12 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank is unreasonable.

If I contacted the wrong deptartment, sorry for wasting your time, and could you direct me to the proper resource? otherwise, before offering advise on stocking large, coldwater fish, I would hope the people in charge would do some research first one it.

thank you.

E. Fischer

Boy, hope i dot sound like a luney!

Guest rme1964
found them!

http://www.mag-web.com/fama/

Now, guys, no attacking. Be civil if you plan on writing.. we dont want them to think all goldfish lovers are nut jobs... we dont wanna get a bad rep, got it? Or Magicks gunna come and get ya

356725[/snapback]

Tonight I will drag out the article again because it has an email address directly to the person who answers the questions. With Magic's permission I can copy the response directy into this person's email address. It is worded probably better than I would have responded. I was thinking of some smart $%$^ answer. That is much more professional!

RME

Guest Chishower

Can you send me the email address? I was thinking of sending something along the lines of:

"Dear Sir or Madam:

I would like to express my concerns over an artical dealing with the housing and care of comet goldfish. In this artical, the author stated that it was possible to keep four to six comet goldfish in one (1) ten gallon aquarium.

Any person with experiance in keeping this particular species of fish knows that comet goldfish can grow up to fourteen inches long in only a year or two, and that a ten gallon aquarium is not suitable for one of these fishes, let alone four to six.

I am hoping that the author merely made a mistake and will correct it in a future issue of the magazine. It is not fair to the owner of these fishes that he should have them die because of a few lines of misinformation.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Ashley J."

Or something like that...it needs to be tweaked still. Maybe if everyone sends an email they will bother to correct it?

Guest rme1964

Here is the exact article in the FAMA issue for September 2005. It was in the question and answer freshwater forum.

Dear Jeff:

I have a few questions to ask you about comet goldfish. I want to know if I should use a PH test kit to see if the water is in the correct range. I also need to know the correct temperature range for comet goldfish. I keep my goldfish in a 10-gallon tank. For filtration, I use an external filter. A few other questions I would like answered: How big can comet goldfish grow in a 10-gallon aquarium, and what are some good ways beside regular water changes that can keep the water in my tank well enough to supoprt my fishes' health.

Sincerely,

Alex

Hello Alex:

Goldfish are very hardy; just don't overcrowd them. Your 10-gallon tank will be just fine for approximately 4 to 6 comet goldfish. Make sure they have plenty of swimming room with some bushy plants. Keep the tank clean and well filtered. You external filter, if operating correctly and efficiently, should work well with your 10 gallon tank. Ideally, it is best to have goldfish in a tank by themselves because they prefer cooler temperaturs from 60 to 74 degrees compared to most tropical fish, which prefer temperture ranges of 76 to 76 degrees and a ph of 7.2 to 7.8. I suggest a 15% weekly water change at which time you shu8ld clean 1/3 to 1/2 of the gravel. Make sure you don't overfeed and remove any uneaten food after five minutes. I hope this helps and best of luck with your comet goldfish.

Send your questions and comments to me c/o Fama, P.O. Box 6050, Mission Viejo, Ca 92690-6050 or e-mail to JCHOWE132@AOL.COM

This is the complete article word for word. I disagree that with the article. 4 to 6 is too many and he says to make sure they have plenty of swimming room. How if you pack 4 to 6 in that tiny aquarium. In my experiences 1 comet will outgrow a well kept 10 gallon aquarium. I have been getting this magazien for some time now and I am very shocked at this answer.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to the article.

RME

Guest Chishower

Well, at least he got the temps right....and the PH sort of right....arg.

Thanks for providing us with the email address, I am going to be emailing him right away.

Guest Chishower

I got a reply! It is as follows:

"Hello Ashley:

Thank you for your recent email regarding your concern about a statement I made regarding comet goldfish. I do agree with you that most varieties of goldfish have the potential to get large and consequently require a lot of space. Although I don't have the reader's letter and my reply in front of me, if I recall correctly the reader was referring to purchasing several small 1.5 - 2" feeder/comet goldfish which could initially be housed in a 10 gallon aquarium. Yes, as these fish got larger the reader would have to go with a larger aquarium which I may not have commented on in my reply.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

Jeff Howe"

Well, thats some sort of victory for the fishy side. I wonder what the rents would think if they knew I was running a fishy campain from my room? :rofl

It's good that you got a reply, and that they aknowledged your letter, even if they still think you could house 4-6 goldfish in a 10 gal.

"I wonder what the rents would think if they knew I was running a fishy campain from my room?"

You should tell them and find out!

Archived