Sign in to follow this  
sandy

Euthanizing

Guest Mike and Linda

That is what I just told you. 50/50 I know that is why I can say that. I have watched and they never suffer. You can tell if they suffer and Finquel they never suffer.

We use to use baking soda method and never again finquel only now. We have seen the difference with our own eyes we have even put a Betta down with finquel without any problems.

Yes the baking soda methods is definitely not painless :(

Thanks again for the info, it sounds like a good option.

I had to put my Casper to sleep a little while ago... used the clove oil method. he was very sick... In 5 years he had never gotten sick before... he was a trooper and my little bully :( Im devastated. Swim free, angel! :( :( :(

What I do is I fill a bowl with water, put it in the freezer and wait until a thin layer of ice forms over the water. I then break the ice, and plop the fish in. There is an instant death due to temperature shock.

-James

What I do is I fill a bowl with water, put it in the freezer and wait until a thin layer of ice forms over the water. I then break the ice, and plop the fish in. There is an instant death due to temperature shock.

-James

This method has been discussed already in this thread. It's far less humane than clove oil or decapitation.

-James

This method has been discussed already in this thread. It's far less humane than clove oil or decapitation.

:hmm How so? All the fish die instantly when I do this.

-James

-James

:hmm How so? All the fish die instantly when I do this.

-James

They actually don't. They most likely go in shock and are unable to move. Just because a fish doesn't move doesn't mean he isn't still alive for a few minutes.

I mean, how would YOU want to die? Peacefully falling asleep or freezing to death, even if freezing to death takes only 2 minutes. There is pain and fear.

You see what I'm trying to say?

Here's a paper about cold shock in fish, including carp (goldfish are carp). In the abstract you'll see that cold shock can cause immediate stiffening, but not death.

at 0?C, tilapia experienced a cold shock reaction such that they stiffened within minutes of being placed in ice

I understand that many fish keepers were told that using freezing was a good method and the fish did appear to die a quick and painless death, but that is not really the case.

for small tropicals freezing could be a quick death, I'd assume so since they are much more sensitive to temp fluctuations than goldies, but for goldies clove oil is the best option IMO.

for small tropicals freezing could be a quick death, I'd assume so since they are much more sensitive to temp fluctuations than goldies, but for goldies clove oil is the best option IMO.

The paper cited above is referring to tropical species as well. For small tropicals, in the absence of clove oil I'd sooner use decapitation or some other mechanical method (I know one fish keeper who simply crushed the fish's head between his fingers). It's a bit disgusting, but instant.

I picked up this organic clove oil. It is dark brown and turns the water a clear light light brown. Is this normal. I looked at the ingredients and it says "organic clove bugs" It smells like cloves, it's def an oil. Should I now use it? Is it too homebrew?

Thanks for the post Sandy, I was just researching that subject. :(

I am one not for euthanasia, I believe all life is precious whether in pain or no. A few years back i had pet who was suffering a disease, she was Kira the Leopard Gecko, and when things got particularly bad the concept of euthanasia came to mind. After thinking long and hard on the idea i realized i couldn't do it.

Now some may think it was my weakness or problem in the matter, but i realized one concept "what would i want if i was in that situation?". I've had pain, sickness, and immobility before in my life and i tried imagining what it would be like to be sick like Kira was. I realized i wouldn't want to die, as long as i was happy about where i was i would enjoy those last days pain or no.

That being said, i found it harder than any euthanasia to care for her final days. I did everything i could think of to make her comfortable and in a week she died snuggled in her shady area. I believe that all animals have a strong desire to live just as much as we humans do, and i know without a doubt she was happier to go cared for than die betrayed by her human companion.

I will say i am surprised at the shear amount of people who are ok with the practice. I must implore you to ask yourself "What would i want?", for while your pet is no relative, it still has desires and wishes that it sadly can't communicate with us. If you feel like you would want the same (as i know some people have various opinions on their own death), then you know what your doing is right :)

To add to the ones who spew the filth that they're just animals or "who cares", you obviously don't realize that humans are mammals of the animal kingdom, and do not know the wonders of other animal companionship.

Silverpheonix, we try not to get into ethical/moral debates on the forum :)

In particular this topic, where some posts have had to be deleted. We're all entitled to our own thoughts on the value of life and euthanasia. It's a hot topic when it comes not only to fish but also humans, with no clear 'right or wrong' but this isn't really the place to get into those sort of philosophical arguments. This thread is meant to help those who choose to put their fish down so that they do it in the most humane way possible, it's purely instructional.

At Crissy_Bee, I wasn't trying to get into moral debates. More like i wanted to place something here for potential euthanizers to think about before the act. I went through the issue of chooseing, and i wanted to post something emotionally instructional. Nothing could be worse than to make a plan about euthanizeing your pet and realizing that you really didn't want to do it till its too late.

My only statement that was condemning was to anyone who doesn't value the life of their pet. Not euthanasia.

That's fine, let's just end the discussion at that.

This thread has a way of getting a little emotional at times, just wanted to stop it before it started, no harm done :)