Sign in to follow this  
sandy

Euthanizing

This may have been stated before but check the expiry date on the clove oil. I am not sure if that affects the properties we desperatly need, but I wouldnt take the chance. Here is a link to the thread with the clove oil method that I used twice that worked exactly how stated. Not meaning to take away from other methods stated, I am sure they work as described also. It was a research submission some time ago. Totally agree with you kukana d, it sure plucks your heart strings.

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

Just wanted to offer my thanks for this thread. Recently I had my new tank's white gravel leech and kill many fish and now I'm cycling the tank over but the only fish still alive are 3 angels and 3 dalmatian balloon mollies. My local fish shop said they might die but they're use to the elevated levels of ammonia already so God speed to them but earlier before the incident I had 2 amazing ghost knives and a bala shark (only one is bad idea I know) and they were in distress for a few days. I wasn't sure how to do the deed as they were getting worse so I simply let them slip away. The clove oil vodka tank water mix sounds good and from what I've read it's very peaceful. Thanks again for the tips, I hope I'll never need to use them.

I have mercifully never had to put any fish to sleep... but if/when I do, I will use clove oil, defiantly I could never bear any of the other methods described here-certainly not flatting or stabbing with a knife or needle.I just couden't do that.

I can't believe people still flush fish Did you know some people flush snakes too? :madrant

Guest Mike and Linda

If you can buy finquel it works really good and the fish does not suffer. I put Casper down with finquel and she went so peacefully it was like a person being put to sleep and no fighting for oxygen .

chrisinha, I am so sorry. :(

I also wanted to note, from everyone on here it seems the clove oil/vodka method works best... However I thought I read somewhere from koko the freezing is the way to go (lemme go find it - because maybe she should update it to the clove oil recipe?)

Here it is - It was in the FAQs.... should koko or a mod/admin person update it?

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/faq.html

This is making me cry! I remember when I put my sainted Rosalie (lhasa apso) to sleep.

It's good to know there's an alternative for fish rather than just waiting for nature to take its course or flushing.

RIP to all our beloved pets!

mj

The freezing method sounds HORRID to meyikes.gif I seriously hope no one puts me in the freezer when I'm on my way outbadidea.gif Even adding vodka sounds like it would be VERY,VERY hard on the gills. I used just clove oil,and that was bad enoughbye2.gif

I have always used just plain clove oil. My vet said that's the best way for them to go. I think it can work with vodka, but you have to be super careful about it, because it can burn them. Since plain clove oil has worked just fine for me, I really don't even see the point in adding vodka at all. But that's just what works for me :)

I had a friend tell me that years ago, they euthanized a piranha using Alka Seltzer tabs. It was his friend's mom's fish, very old and suffering, long before the internet was available for easy access to info. They were told to put the fish into a Tupperware container, drop in the tabs and close the lid. He said it was very fast, but the fish thrashed for a few seconds before his breathing slowed and he passed. Has anyone heard of or tried this? Just wondering if this is "old school" and not used now that info of better methods is more readily available?

I have always used just plain clove oil. My vet said that's the best way for them to go. I think it can work with vodka, but you have to be super careful about it, because it can burn them. Since plain clove oil has worked just fine for me, I really don't even see the point in adding vodka at all. But that's just what works for me :)

Me too. I use a LOT of clove oil, way more than is called for, just to be safe. I've had to use it about 3 or 4 times now, on both goldies and tropical fish and the fish have instantly stopped breathing.

I had a friend tell me that years ago, they euthanized a piranha using Alka Seltzer tabs. It was his friend's mom's fish, very old and suffering, long before the internet was available for easy access to info. They were told to put the fish into a Tupperware container, drop in the tabs and close the lid. He said it was very fast, but the fish thrashed for a few seconds before his breathing slowed and he passed. Has anyone heard of or tried this? Just wondering if this is "old school" and not used now that info of better methods is more readily available?

I had to look up Alka Seltzer to know what was in it, here's what wikipedia says:

Though important to the overall effect of the medication, the aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) does not contribute to the effervescent action of Alka-Seltzer; the effervescence is produced by the baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and citric acid reacting to form sodium citrate and carbon dioxide gas.

I'm guessing that the fish may die by suffocation if the oxygen is replaced by carbon dioxide. But I'd wonder about the citric acid hurting the fish, that might explain the thrashing. Not something I'd try.

Thanks for the response, Chrissy :) While it may have been the "best" option in rural Manitoba in the 80's, not something I'd try either, if it's not as humane as clove oil. I knew it would remove oxygen, didn't know about the citric acid; the few seconds of thrashing may have been quite painful :(

I would use decapitation. Some people might think its gruesome, but it's much faster than any other method and the pain is gone instantaneously. I've used this method for food fish and if you know how to do it very quickly as soon as they're out of the water, they may not even have a chance to thrash. No suffocation, burning, freezing, just cut and it's over very quickly.

Then again, I wouldn't use euthanasia unless the fish was for sure going to die...if it is only to put the fish out of suffering/illness, I wouldn't do it.

I would use decapitation. Some people might think its gruesome, but it's much faster than any other method and the pain is gone instantaneously. I've used this method for food fish and if you know how to do it very quickly as soon as they're out of the water, they may not even have a chance to thrash. No suffocation, burning, freezing, just cut and it's over very quickly.

Then again, I wouldn't use euthanasia unless the fish was for sure going to die...if it is only to put the fish out of suffering/illness, I wouldn't do it.

You are right about that. I do fishery research cruises and this is typically how we kill fish, it's instant. That being said, I don't think I'd have it in me to do it to my own pet...

i disagree with the method. the majority here will not agree with this being humane simply becuase the fish is considered a family member.. my god, how can i bring myself to cutting pork chop's head off? :stop:noway so i guess the idea of a koko member doing something like this is way out of the question and most would cringe at reading this as a humane option.

Hey Helen, Chrissy explained above that this method is actually humane and very pain-free for the fish if done right. I can totally understand though if anyone is not willing to do this, because I'm sure it would be tough for the person. I probably wouldn't try it myself either. But I definitely would not go so far as to say it's inhumane or that people shouldn't do it.

OMG i feel sooo bad now reading this i have had a few fish whom ive put in the freezer and was always reassured that this was a painless method if you wrap a wet paper towel around them to keep the ice crystals from forming on the eyes. :cry

and it made sense i was always told that since fish were not warm blooded there bodies didnt react to the cold the way a mammals did(pain,numbness) that they just slowed down like a hyirnation state and died :( i feel really bad to find this out now :( :( since just a week ago i made mention to my bf who had a snakeskin gourami that he should put him out of his misery since he was hsving some odd intense seizers and had stopped eating and had huge gashes on his head from slaming into the tank lid and gravel. from now on i am deff useing the clove oil!!!

I would agree that using the clove oil is best, but using a rolling pin to, um, smash the beloved goldfish is kinda inhumane... :yikes:cry1 stabbing the fish'es head... don't wanna think a bout it. Thankfully I've never had to do anything like this to my dear fishes...

I realize you guys want to talk about options, but I had to delete the posts that were argumentative and discussing animal cruelty. We have to stick to the rules guys. Especially in a sticky thread, since we want people to be able to access the info as fast as possible and not be put off by all the unnecessary discussion. Thanks for understanding. :)

Good article sandy I may have to do that.

Guest Mike and Linda

Finquel is the best and it is widely available in the USA without problem. I have 2 bottles.

Finquel is the best and it is widely available in the USA without problem. I have 2 bottles.

That's interesting stuff! The only warning I found is that it can cause a pH crash so you need to buffer the water when using it. Thanks for posting :)

Guest Mike and Linda

That's interesting stuff! The only warning I found is that it can cause a pH crash so you need to buffer the water when using it. Thanks for posting :)

When you use Finquel you do not put it in your main tank. You take a small pail and put delcorinated water and add 1/2 tsp finquel and 1/2 tsp baking soda and you will Euthanize the fish peacefully better than any other method. It takes less than 1 min for the fish to fall asleep and they do not fight. I have done it a few times and I tried other methods and Finquel is the best.

Well of course not in the main tank, but the pH crash can make the fish's last minutes horrible. That is why you have to do 50/50 finquel/baking soda. :)