Sign in to follow this  
sandy

Euthanizing

Such sadness :(

Maybe this should be a memorial page as well.

Guest kscoleman

I have used clove oil as an anesthetic to remove a tumor before on the wen of my goldfish. Clove oil is very humane as a euthanasia product as well. (I do not use vodka). First put the fish to be euthanized in a smaller container containing tank water from the original tank so as to not stress the fish. Add an air stone to the smaller container to keep the water moving. Next I mix the clove oil with a small amount of bucket water in a glass jar and shake it constantly for 3-5 minutes to break the oil up. Add the clove oil mixture slowly (you might notice that the fish swims away from it initially but mine never seemed stressed by it). Slowly the fish will slow down and become unconscious. I usually leave them in the water for an hour after I think they are dead and then remove them in a clean butter container with no water and watch them for another hour before disposing of them. The clove oil is cheap and can be purchased at a cake supply store in a very small quantity (.125 oz.) I use about 1/2 the clove oil in a 2 gallon size bucket for euthanasia. If your fish is taking too long to get sleepy (more than 20 min.) you can add the rest of the oil after you shake it up with some of the bucket water. As a precaution, I always have 2 little jars of clove oil on hand. No one wants our little finny friends to suffer when we are sure that there is nothing else we can do for them. Every creature we keep becomes our responsibility to keep healthy for as long as possible.

You know sometimes people can make me soo sick!!! NO OFFENCE INTENTED!! But I think it is really sad when ppl r like o it"s easier for me to do this....Its like oo there fish soo it doesn"t matter. But I see it like this do u think they would feel the same way if there cat or dog or fuzzy cuddly anamial needed to be put to sleep, if they would flush it down the toliet or freeze it to death because it was "easier" for them. Just becasue a fish isn't like a dog or something doesn"t mean it doesn"t desever to die with dignaty. I kno when my guys r sick I am just as upset as if one of my cats were sick and i would do everything in my pwer to save it just like neother pet.

I am soo glad u posted this becasue there r some kind ppl out there, like me who wouldn't have kno the best way to do this, and in best i mean best for the fish not for me!!! I have watched my dog die infront of me and yah its tuff< but I felt he knew he was loved and cared for be4 he shut his eyes and drifed off the his enternal slumber......no one deserves to die like that!!!

:heart THANK YOU!!! GOD BLESS ALL YOU WHO ARE KIND ENOUGH TO DO WHATS BEST FOR UR FISHIE FREINDS!!! :heart

Flushing is a relative easy way but horrible for a fish. Why make it suffer even more? Then you should let it die in it's tank, in peace, and not stressed and hurt by flushing! :(

If I have to kill a fish I just smash it. Sounds very strange but I take a big flat stone and just completely distroy the fish in a second. It's flat after the first blow and it's head and body are gone so it must be dead.

gosh ur violent!! lol j/t u r alot braver than we that sounds sooo bad!!! at least u r thinking of the fish tho!! Its quick!! At least there are some good mommies and daddies out there!!!

What I do want to add in here is that yes, some brands of Clove oil aka Oil of Clove are stronger then others.

I have also noted that there's a bit of error in its employ. When mixing the Oil of Clove, it should be shaken in a baggie with some of the water to be used until it turns white, emmulsifying it is the correct way to proceed. Then it can be added in gradually. I have noted that some folks useing the oil of clove have complained that it was horrible with the fish thrashing and fighting it. If mixed well and added in a little bit at a time, this should relax the fish and not cause such a horrible scene!

Its the more humane way to deal, I agree! :D

Guest Nicole_05

You know, there is another option - take it to a vet to get put down!

Exotic vets will do this for about $50, where it is put to sleep e.t.c

I think this is the best way to do it. Yeah it costs money, but its nicer for the fish!

I use clove oil all the time for doing dental work on my puffers, and I want to really put emphasis on the point that you do NOT need to mix it with whiskey or vodka or anything, that's just silly.

As previous posters said, shake the clove oil with some water in a small container, baggie, whatever, then add it to the container holding the fish. Within a few seconds the fish will go belly up. I've done it in the past just by adding a few drops to the water and it works, but takes longer. But there is no need for people to be messing with alcohol, especially considering the average goldie owner is someone under the legal drinking age!

One thing to keep in mind though, the oil will stick to the sides and bottom of the container you shake it in and have the fish in, so make sure to either throw it out or wash it with lots of soap and hot water. I've made the nearly deadly (for one of my puffers) mistake of not doing so and giving him a double or triple dose of the clove oil.. it took him a long time to wake up from that one.

Guest Dan-Boy
If I have to kill a fish I just smash it. Sounds very strange but I take a big flat stone and just completely distroy the fish in a second. It's flat after the first blow and it's head and body are gone so it must be dead.

I Totally agree with Marx on this one, i just had to euthanize one of my friends comets..it was a younger fish and very ill :( .. I found it hard, but as soon as id done it i realised it was one of the most humain ways of going about it.

RIP Elwood

Dan

I agree that a good strong blow with a blunt instrument, or quickly decapitating with a sharp knife are humane methods of euthanisia. (sounds a bit like a crime scene doesn't it?)

I don't have the stomach for that type of thing, although I would probably do it if there were no other way available. I have used the clove oil method several times and it's equally as humane and a lot less gruesome.

Thanks for the info i have had to euthanise two of my fish in the past and was led to believe freezing was a kind way to let them go I think it will be the anaestetic way for me from now on.I feel guilty now tht i may have caused my fish to suffer

:cry1

Edited by Blue

Guest tomk

ive had to do it toa fish which had a hugeeee tumor on his underbelly. I put him in a 2 gallon bucket and poured quarter bottle of Soda water the fish guy said thats a humane way for it to go peacefully :) it did go peacefully didnt seem to strugle or freak out to much :(

Guest fantail109

I cannot bear the thought of having to kill a fish I prefer to let the disease do it's work, because it might have a chance to live.

Guest invertedsilver

Yes, they eventualy die if the illness is let run its corse.

However, you must think of the quality of life.

If the animal is in pain without relife it is often times simply more humane to kill a fish.

Death with dignity, so to speak

It is an act of love if carried out in sincerity.

i read somewhere that freezing it is a natural way of killing a fish, as in nature, the winter freezes ponds. it sounds kind of stupid now and the person who wrote it must have not known much about fish. i would never be able to bring myself to smash the fishies head, i would probably go freak out. im always too chicken to do anything to them, and try to trust that maybe they will get better, and to let nature take its course.

Guest SweetJuliet

My little 3 year old comet, Lucky has been rather unlucky lately. He's battled septicemia many times even though I keep the tank very clean and well balanced. The other fish have always been okay. Saturday morning I woke up to a dead Lucky...at least I thought by the way he was floating. After reading more I think he has SBD. I'm going to try everything I can for him since he still does show a little activity, but I know I have to make my decision soon. I've ordered some clove oil and I'm going to pray that I don't have to use it. This just seems the most humane.

Hi, a while back I read somewhere that alka-seltzer was a humane way to euthanize a fish. Well when my betta got really sick and I tried everything to help him, I knew euthanizing him was my best option since he had not eaten in weeks and had become paper thin. Also whatever he had was getting worse. It was late and all I had was alka-seltzer so i used it, and although eventually he did pass on, it took a while and he did struggle. I moved him into clean water b/c it was hard watching him jump around w/the alka-seltzer in his water. I personally hate this method and will never do it again.

karla

The theory to the alka seltzer was that it took the oxygen out the water so the fish suffocated, but it would fight it. Sorry you went through that with him.

I still cannot accept the fact that people euthanize fish when they think it's time, even after medicating. Why can't we allow the fish to die naturally. I'm sure people have their own reasons but still... If a human falls sick, no matter what people treat them until whatever happens naturally. Fish will also eventually die if it gets worse. Can't we allow them to go naturally without robbing those few days left out of them...

If Alka-Seltzer suppose to take oxygen out of the water, i wonder why it is considered humane? (this is a rhetorical question). I did read from the same website that alka-seltzer has an ingredient that acts like an asthetic for fish, this is why i chose this method, + i had no clove oil.

Euthanasia is a personal view/belief, I have my reasons to support if for both humans and animals, but I will not go into that here.

Although I felt sad taking my fish's life, watching him for weeks living the way he did when this disease infected him and no matter how hard I tried to help him, he only grew worse, I felt in the end, it was the humane thing to do.

karla

I was led to believe by the internet that one of the best ways to euthanize a fish was to freeze it, the reason being that hypothermia would cause the fish to drift off to sleep. Now I know better and vow to never ever again freeze a fish. I do have clove oil in my cabinet (did you know it's also great for toothaches/dry socket on humans?) and will use it only if necessary.

This topic sucks -- it's great, but it's a sucky, sad topic that I wish no one ever had to read up on. However, kudos for whoever started it. If you own a pet, you are responible for it's life and well being! I'd rather let my fish go naturally than let linger in a horrible death. :cry1

Guest tulizamakini

Greetings all,

It's been along time since I posted on this site. Since then I have had two losses.

One of which I had to euthanize. I used the clove oil method. Franklyn had been

sick for a long time and was confined to the hospital tank for months. He kept getting

worse. I painfully made the decision. I got a large tupperware bowl to place him in

with water, dimmed the lights and lit a small candle. I stayed with him speaking to

him softly until he peacefully past away. I lost my second goldfish, Magnus, very

quickly, he got ill and past away within two days. I was spared from having to make

the choice of euthanizing again. To all who have had to make the choice, I understand

your pain.

I'm sorry to hear everyone's sad stories...

Surfing Koko's, and buying from a lfs I wasn't so sure about (I couldn't find anything better within driving distance), I started looking for a tiny bottle of clove oil, just in case. To go with the ammonia reducers, and the kosher salt, and the other basics...

I sometimes can find it in the naturopathic section of larger supermarkets -- or in this case, I found a tiny bottle in the aromatherapy aisle. It was marketed as essential oils, of Clove Bud.

Haven't tested it out (thankfully!) but according to Wikipedia, essential oil is the same thing as "oil of..."

Though I had to search three different supermarkets to find it.. :krazy:

But yeah. It might be under natural supplements or aromatherapy if there's anything like that near where you are.

Sorry to hear about Franklyn and Magnus.. Franklin reminds me of the time we lost our cat... :cry1 Hit by a car in front of us, and slipped away in the space of minutes while we held him.

Oh, and the clove oil? I tried a drop dabbed on my own gumline to see if it seemed to do anything... yeah it burns for a second, then made the gum numb.. and the tongue near that area.. and that corner of my lip... :rolleyes: Feeling returned after a couple minutes.

Darwin is rolling in his grave, but at least I know it seems to work.

Edited by Johnny Five