Need Some Ideas... Please

Guest JustJayde

Guest JustJayde

Hey there I am new to the fish world, and found this site a week ago. Since then I have bought all the things I need to make a happy goldfishie. However I am extremely poor..... and by this I mean bare minimum setup. My tank, has no lid/cover though and this bothers me.

1. water will evaporate fast.

2. it splashes.

3. I know some fish jump and that worries me.

What can I do for a lid (please don't say tinfoil it looks really ghetto). For 10.00 or less. Please, ideas?

thanks!

by the way LOVE this site! :D

Well there is plexiglass but I'm not sure how much that runs for. Plastic mesh canvas is about .25 cents at craft stores and can be cut into a million different lids. Someone else will come along with more ideas I'm sure.

With or without a lid you will get some degree of water evaporation. The mesh will reduce the splashing but since it has tiny holes maybe not all of it.

Good luck! :)

Guest JustJayde

Yea i thought of mesh....

I thought of making a frame out of a coat hanger (metal) then sewing mesh around it......

Water evap is not a worry I guess......

The air tube does splash like mad though , I can't seem to control that lol

Oh the splashing is from the pump not the filter? Yeah, no one can really help that, even mine spritzes like crazy when the lid comes off.

The coat hanger sounds good, just watchout around the splashing, it might rust over and cling itself to the lip ment to hold the hood up.

Guest JustJayde

yea I think I am going to have to try and get a proper lid somehow.

I will just think of it as a 1 time expense, same as the tank and filter etc. It will be worth going hungry for a month or two to have a sweet little pet. :)

Now the key is to find one local for a reasonable price.. most of the places I called told me they don't sell just the lid... to go get plexi glass. BUT then I would have no way to cut out a spot for the air tube and filter.

I can't go from shop to shop hunting for one, I am disabled and a shut in.

ty so much for replying yet again :)

Don't sell the lid and need to get plexiglass? Are they nuts? Shame on them for saying that.

All Glass Aquarium sells Delux full hoods with flourescent light fixtures with a bulb for around $25-30.00 They're website is here www.all-glass.com , they have a "find a retailer" option that gives you the closest place to you where their merchandise is sold. :)

Hoods, tanks, and filters are definantly a one time buy/splurdge cause they cost so much but are well worth it in the long run. Hope you find one that works for your tank.

Guest JustJayde

You my dear, are AWESOME!

I have called the local store and asked them to hide one away until my errand runner can sneak in and get it for me.

32.00 yikes.

ty so much!

Guest jordanmia

i'm cheep too and haven't got a lid for my tank. so what I do is i found a sturdy rod that will go across the middle, front to back, and I lay a thick plastic over it. I was using an old piece of styrofoam but it broke and I didn't want the little pieces to fall into the tank. anyway, the rod keeps the plastic from falling into the tank. it's not the prettiest site but it gets the job done. plus it's super easy to remove for cleaning and the fish can't esacpe. you could even use a piece of cardboard for now. like I said, it's not the most beautiful thing but it helps until you can save some money for something new. :yeah:

Guest JustJayde

that won't work for me, it would take all of 10 munutes for my kiddo to wing a ball or toy into the tank by accident lol

I shelled out the money for the lid in the end :)

All-glass is just the brand name, All-Glass-Aquariums. The hoods have a part glass bottom with a hinge attatched to a pastic lid so you can feed your fish, the light compartment goes above the glass space so no water gets in. These hoods also come with flourecent ballasts and a free bulb. They're really well built and sturdy in my opinion.

Archived