Ammonia In New Water Garden

I started a water garden and wanted to get the cycle going. I overdid the ammonia addition...long story (not to worry, no fish until the cycle is complete). I am measuring over 8 ppm. If I buy biospira will this work since the ammonia level is so high or will the bacteria think it's a feast? Or do you think if I decide to drain some of the water will that level of ammonia harm the surrounding garden? I am very excited about getting this moving but I want to do this right. I want some new happy baby orandas in there as soon as I can get the parameters in line. :yeah:

:) Hey Andrea,Can't wait to see this! I'm no expert at all with this,but I'm figuring that you gotta do a water change for sure,and that if you're really afraid that the ammonia amount will be too much for your surrounding gardens,just have the hose ready to "dilute it even more. As far as I know,Biospira is one of those products that you DON'T have to add Ammonia to. You're supposed to be able to use that and add fish almost immediately. I read an article that said if you allready have started the cycling process,and decide to add the Biospira,it may take a bigger dosage amount,and longer than Biospira's normal time to cycle it. This is what I was reading.Cycling

:) That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe I can scoop it with a bucket until the level is way down and put that in the toilet or someplace where I know no environmental damage will be done and then add fresh water. I have used biospira before and I assumed bacteria will need something to feed off of and it seemed that they only include what is needed for the first part of the cycle. The bacteria that feed off the nitrites took a week so I figured that they must come from elsewhere. So it does jumpstart the longest, the most difficult part and the cycle should be complete in a week or so after. That's how it worked for me anyway. I would seed from my 10 gallon filter but I just used my extra material that I keep for that purpose for my betta about 10 days ago.

I appreciate the advice. :) It is raining now so maybe mother nature has done my work for me. I will test when I get home. I guess if it is under 3-4 ppm it will be safe to try biospira? Right now I am afraid of some animal getting poisoned. Maybe I will go home at lunch and take care of that.... :(

I will post pics if I can ever get it the way I want it to look. I don't exactly have a green thumb, unfortunately.

a lot of plants prefer ammonia over nitrAtes as a food source, so they'll suck some of it up. Lately, I haven't seen anyone cycle in under 2 weeks with fish and Bio spira.

I'd be tempted to bring ammonia down to 5ppm and add the biospira and just let it help you along in a fishless cycle. Fishless is a lot less hassle than trying to keep the water for getting too toxic for fish.

I agree. BTW, I took a look at your website, Betty, and it was what convinced me to bring the ammonia down. (Great site and your tanks are to die for!). I have it down to 4 ppm now and I will add biospira on monday. I am going out of town and I don't want to risk killing a cycle for lack of ammonia while I am gone.

I will never again cycle with fish after the last time. It took over 8 weeks of daily water changes and I really think biospira is what kept it from going 12. Nope, no fish in there until it is cycled. I don't have the energy for that again.

Thanks for the reassurance on the plants as well. I am as excited about them as I am about the new fish. I can't wait to create something naturally beautiful with my own little hands and a bit of help from mother nature. :D

Thanks. :)

That sounds like a good plan. :)

I hear you... I had to cycle my first tanks (after I killed all my biobugs) with tap water that contains 2.5ppm ammonia. Biospira didn't help that much. I got my BS right before their plant in CA went down, so I wrote that off to poor handling, a bad batch, etc cuz Dr Tim's research seems sound. I ended up taking the risk of getting seasoned gravel from a LPS. Thankfully we didn't catch anything from it. The daily and sometimes twice daily partial water changes are something I don't plan to do again. LOL

Just noticed you're in Dallas. Hey neighbor. :)

Check out Tommy's goldies. He's in Dallas.

http://www.goldfishnet.com/home.asp

You are kidding!! I thought I lived in a goldfish free hole. No one here seems to have any respect for them or desire to sell them. At least not anywhere I have gone. Thanks for sharing that site. I wish I could afford his auctions. :( It's definitely good to know about for the future though. :exactly

LOL Their loss!!

A friend of mine went down and visited Tommy. Don't know how much she paid for her goldies. got a nice peach oranda and some others. From memory, it may be possible to get younger fish that aren't as pricey.

Archived