White Goldfish Getting Black Spots?

Guest goatman

Guest goatman

I know that there are heaps and heaps of topics about goldfish changing colour, but I haven't found any about goldfish going black from white!

I live in Melbourne, Australia and I have two outdoor "barrels" with goldfish, plants and one native tandanus catfish. In the smaller of the two ponds, there is a grey-black "feeder" goldfish and a white comet. The comet was pure white with black eyes when we bought him, but over recent weeks as our weather has got colder, I've noticed that he is developing tiny symmetrical black spots over his body. It could just be my imagination, but he also seems to have a gold/reddish tinge to him now that I didn't think he did before.

I'm hoping that like all the other colour changes I'm reading about, it is just a part of a young fish growing up, or perhaps the change in seasons and water temperature. He seems to be healthy-ish, maybe a little less active than before, but then again it is getting cold here.

I just hadn't read any entries about people with fish that went from white to black!

Can anyone back up my theory? (or tell me what else I need to do!)

Thanks!

When you put him in the barrel, had he gone from an indoor situation to outdoors? Sometimes natural sunlight can bring out colours in fish. A fish that is calico may be quite white, then in bright sunlight the calico colouration will come out.

My pond fish, especially the shubunkins, become very pale when I overwinter them indoors, then they develop very rich colour in my outdoor pond in summer.

The only other thing I can think of would be ammonia burns, but with the goldish colour coming along, too, it sounds more like a natural colour change.

Hi goatman, I think you are right in thinking this is a regular colour change, especially as you think you are seeing an organish tinge. Have you changed their food recently?

The only other scenario that comes to mind are ammonia burns. These turn black as they begin to heal, often people don't even realise there was a problem until they see the healing black spots. Have you got a test kit for ammonia? If not you can take a sample of your water to the pet store and they usually test it for free.

If it is ammonia burns the existing black spots will fade away within a couple of weeks.

Guest goatman

Wow! thanks for replying so quickly.

They both did go from an indoor tank at the store to the outdoor pond. I didn't think the light level would be all that much higher, because they don't get a great deal of direct sunlight where they are.

Of the fish in the other barrel/bowl, which have been there much longer, one began yellow-orange with a black stripe along his back, while another was a rich red. Now they both look the same, and it's really hard to tell them apart. That change happened over our spring-summer.

Would ammonia burns look like tiny black spots? The bowl (large stone bowl/barrel thing) gets a fair few leaves from overhanging trees, which I clean out most days. I was away for about a week and a half a few weeks back, though, so the water quality might have been affected then?

I try to do water cycles regularly, but it gets fresh rainwater too.

Guest goatman

Food hasn't really changed much, I kinda rotate between tiny pellets the aquarium recommended (?don't know what they are), frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms.

I should check the water though. Even if the ammonia is okay now, it still doesn't rule out it being off before though, right?

Yep, you may have had a little hiccup a while back and now everything is back to normal.

That's why it's handy to have test kits. The basic ones are pH, ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte. If you test weekly you can tell if things are going a bit off and rectify by extra water changes, or whatever.

Guest calico4

I have a calico fantail and he was all white and he got some black spots, but it didnt effect him.

-calico

:) Well,I think I'd test the water Params,and do some water changes.The only other thing that I can think of would be Black Spot Disease,which usually occurs in Pond Fish.I know that technically,your fish are in container's,but because they're outside-maybe this is still a possibility? Are they raised cyst like spots?

Guest goatman

the spots don't look raised to me, at least, i don't think they are.

i guess the container pretty pond-like?

what is black-spot disease?

Archived