Tank Background Picture/ Lighting

Guest berlch

Guest berlch

Hi, i was wondering wat color of back ground should i use tat will actually enhance the color of my my goldie!! black or Blue? and the light wat type of color is best to bring out the gold in my goldie??? thanks!!!

I prefer blue for the backround.I like using regular yellow/white light.Dark green plants also make the goldies color stand out.And i use both dark and light color gravel.it really makes them stand out.The lighting not sure only saw white/yellow light.

Guest berlch

Hi, thanks for your reply.... hmmm was wondering if pinkish light will have the same effect? yellow light?? i din actually know they exist hahha.... anyway will follow wat u guys recommand,.,,,, hmm u guys put gravel in your goldie tank? will gravel destroy the goldie's sccale?? i'm afraid it will get damage....

hey again~

i never heard of pink light before heheh but seening as you say they exist ... well i would reccomend putting gravel inside your tank, i dont think it will destroy your goldies scales noo..well i never heard of such things. You could go a barebottom, it will be easy to clean as no excess poo or whateva is floating will be around..the filter will get it :)

or you can have gravel, but it will be a lil harder job...but you could get a siphon at your LPS and clean the rocks and stuff that way..

i got a few questions for you....

what kind of tank ya got..i mean how many gallons?

how many fishs you got?

what kind of filtration?

and how many times do you do water changes? and how much ?

thanks

marco

Guest berlch

Hi, i mean sometimes my goldie like to swim against the bottom a very fish tho... hmmm i'm using a 30gallon tank with a overhead filter, got 9 Ranchu ya?? thanks for your reply!!!

9 ranchus in a thirty gallon? You're pretty overstocked. Fancy goldfish need to have ten gallon each because they are very messy fish and their water will become polluted and make them extremely sick very quickly.

As for your background, what color are your ranchus? If they are black, blue, grey, brown, or any other dark color, a light colored background will dramatically bring out your fishies color! I'd go with light pastel colors. If you have white, orange, yellow, red, or light/bright colored fish, then black will make them look absolutley stunning. If you've got mixed colors, I'd bo with a medium blue :)

Guest berlch

Hi thanks i dunno wat is gallon in my country we say feet currently i'm using 3 feet tank to keep 9 ranchu.... yes my ranchu, ryukin are orange/red in color so u think if having a black background it will will have a promising stunning color reflect out from my goldie actually i think likewise too....do u put bedding at the bottom of your tank?

I do, but you have to be very careful with it. How big are your goldfish? Goldfish love to dig in the substrate to look for leftover food, its their natural instinct. Keeping this in mind, you need to get large river rocks (one inch in diameter or bigger) or very tiny smooth gravel (not sand) so if they pick some up, they won't choke on it. There have been a ton of emergencies with choking goldfish. Also, it is easier to keep a barebottom clean because the poopies and other ickies have no place to hide.

Here is a topic about the pros and cons of pebbles: Pebbles vs Barebottom

Look around the tank equipment and goldfish pics sections for examples of both and see what you like. Having gravel means a tiny bit more work, but when it comes down to it, it really depends on what look you like best :)

Guest berlch

hmmm thanks 4 your reply hmmmm so i need to get something with the size greater then the sand? hmmm my goldie is about a palm size. do u use undergravel filter 4 your tank? ;)

Are all of them palm size? If you have 9 goldies you really need at least a 100 gal. tank with enough filtration to pump at least 1,000 gph. Have you had your goldies long? Like Kissy said, the water can become polluted very quickly with goldfish. The only ways to control this is good filtration, partial water changes, and not to overcrowd.

Some people do have undergravel filters. I do not, I use the hang of the back kind. For me, I think they are easier to maintain/change filters.

Your fish sound very pretty. Have fun with picking out a background :)

I've got a hang over the back filter too, its the only kind I've ever used. As for being overcrowded, take a look at my post in the goldfish discussion about the great deals I found on rubbermaids in Target yesterday. Rubbermaid totes are wonderfuly cheap alternatives for aquariums, all you really need is a filter and to build a frame to prevent the tote from bowing out from the weight of the water :)

HI, The black really does look Super nice It brings out the reds/oranges so well.

~Kissy I see you got your avatar on your signature, Thats nice, I didnt make the goldfish design Just added your name LOLBut Still made by me :) Im glad you liked it.

Guest berlch

Hi thanks for all your reply in fact i have 2 goldie tat is about palm size, the rest pretty much smaller :D i'm currently using a overhead filter water wise not very polluted i usually change top up the water inside and wash the filter media once every 2 week.... :) using the undergravel filter meaaning trapping all the waste all in the gravel? 4 long period will it be harmful to the goldie? as waste not been remove baterial will begain to be harmful to the goldie huh? <_<

i got 1 more question puting gravel on the bottom,will the goldfish will rub against the gravel and destroy it's scale? i'm pretty afraid tat my goldi become uglie.... :huh:

Mmm yah I'm not the best person to answer about the filter questions cuz I'm not even sure how an under gravel filter works o_O haha...

You don't really have to worry about the gravel unless its super sharp. You can easily find sanded pebbles that are very smooth too :)

Hiya - I just ordered a black background for my tank so I can't tell you how it looks yet... but the goal I had in mind was to make the fish really standout. I will post pix. next week in the Photo Forum under the thread "Presenting Graham Norton" if you want to see if you like the look (I hope I do)!

I also have an Undergravel Filter (UGF). Here is a thread that you might find helpful:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=27054

I really would not recommend the UGF, especially for an overstocked tank!

I originally got the UGF as money was an issue. I will continue to use if for a while but only as long as I have my fish expert - i.e. I have a Pro who takes care of my tank once a month. He is an expert with this type of set-up and he knows how to maintain it properly. We are looking into supplemental filtration - a canister or U.V. I am saving up for it now. I think using both would a good option.

I also have only one fish in a 20 gallon tank, plants on the way.

Check out more threads for UGF by doing a search and do some more research on other sites. The choice is entirely up to you! There is no right or wrong about this, only BETTER - which is, of course, relative to your particular situation. :)

PS - about gravel - gravel is very good for the tank and it is also good for the fish. It is good for the tank because it provides a breeding ground for the good bacteria you need - the more gravel, the greater the surface area to grow good bacteria. the negative of this is that it also traps debris which leads to all the bad stuff. Therefore, regular gravel cleaning is a requirement. The fish like pciking through the gravel searching for food - and it is rather fun to watch. The gravel helps keep the food in place so goldies aren't chasing it around the bottom in vain - especially certain fancies that have a hard time seeing food. The disadvantage is that occasionally, rocks get stuck in fishy mouths. You need to get the proper size stones to help avoid this problem.

In a healthy tank, the goldfish should not be harmed by the gravel (except by swallowing it - That is, if the fish is rubbing the gravel in a way that makes its scales fall off - the fish is SICK! There are several things that can cause a fish to "flash". Check out the link to fihs diseases to see what causes flashing.

I hope your fish is not flashing...? Are you adding aquarium salt?

Archived