Adding Salt........

Guest Jennie

Guest Jennie

I read also where after doing water changes to tanks they add salt back in each time. I never have put salt in (only when I first started it up). I don't keep it in my tank & thought you only use this for a med treatment. I add nothing to the water except for dechlor. when changing water. This good or not ?

Thanks,

Jennie

Guest graceful fins

Hello!!

I use salt all of the time but it is not a must. Everyone has an opinion though!! It promotes osmoregulation (oxygen intake by fish), improves gill function, an it has electrolytes. It is also very good for disease recovery/treatment for some. Just be careful when using it. It doen't evaporate so don't use it when refilling evaporated water levels. As for dechloranator...it is a must!! You may also want to use a dechlorinator that contains some form of beneficial bacteria such as stress zyme. There are many products in that line available.

Heather:)

Guest Jennie

Hello also........

I though that you only use the salt just when treating for something ? If using all the time, won't they become immune to it & then this wouldn't work for treating problems if they occur ? I just hate it add things that aren't 100% needed.

Thanks,

Jennie

Guest graceful fins

Hi again!!

Yes you are very correct! They can become immuned to it. I use less than the directions say to use. Instead of 1tbsp per 5 gallons, I use 1 teaspoon. When I have a parasite/disease problem, I use the recommeded dose for my hospital tank and raise the temp. to 80 and I also use whatever medication along with it. It is a great stress reducer :)

Heather

Guest Jennie

With having salt in the tank, it would be safe to add **any meds** in with it ? I would still think even if your adding it in there all the time even at low doses, they would still become somewhat immune. Just MO.

Jennie

Archived