What Would Be Your Ideal Filter Setup?

I am asking since I am saving up to buy GN a super new filter - So, I would love to hear your wildest daydreams but also a few grounded in a (generous) reality!

I will work with the UGF for a while and I may start a positive flow on it - but ultimately, once this powerhead gives out, I want to switch to the ideal gf filter! :D Thanks for your input!

well, it depends on what tank size you got....if ya got a 20gallon tank you should get a filter more than 20gallons going per hour...

and if ya got a 50gallon its same thing..you need extra filter going...

and at home im using a aquaclear filter :)

marco

I mean, if you had a twenty gallon tank, what would be your ideal set-up?

And then if you had a fifty gallon tank, what would be your ideal set-up?

People really seem to like Eheim filters and Pengiuns - so that is an example of what power filter you might choose - what else would you include in your ideal filter system? Canisters? Wet-dry? Bio-wheels? UV? Co2 for plants?

Do most people just use a power filter and that's it?

I think in my ideal tank... there would be a plumbing hook-up directly to the tank for water changes - that would be great!

But for now, I just really want to know what filters and set-ups people prefer for those two tank sizes - if someone said, go to the store and buy whatever you want...

Guest Chishower

If I had it my way, I would have as many hob filters as I could fit with a canister in the corner.

But realisitcaly:

I would say go for a couple HOB filters. Penguins are great because of the bio wheel, but my whisper is quieter than my penguin. I find that they are easy to take care of. You might also want to pick up some bio-balls if you can find them and put them in the media basket. For filter size, I would get the biggest one I could. I didnt do that when I first got the tank, and now I am stuck buying more filters to make up for it.

UV systems are a bit pricy, but good for free floating algea and parasites. It really depends on your budget and how much cleaning you want to do.

on my 20's, i have 2 aquaclear 30's on each one. these do a wonderful job. i would like to have UV's on them but i dont have that money. i have a UV on my big tank, however, and it is the best thing ive ever gotten!

so my dream 50 gal would be a uv, and 2 aquaclear 70's or 110's. :)

Archived