Poor Fan-tail Gf & Fin Rot...........

Guest Jennie

Guest Jennie

I have this pretty fan-tail that has been through it all & keeps hanging on. Anytime I add a friend to the tank, after weeks it just ends up dying. No signs & not sure why ? Maybe this fish don't want friends. :( It's in a 20 gallon with heater (76), airstones, & Aquaclear 300 filter. Also some big (quarter size) river rock. I did let the tank go (was sick) about 2 months ago & this started. I have been cleaning the tank weekly & this time it went about 2 weeks before getting a vac ran & water change. Had 2 fans at the time. These fish are about 50 cent piece size. The rot started & I did a good tank clean out & added Kanacyn. This helped some , but , didn't clear it 100%. Well, in this time 1 fish died. So now I have the 1 that's been through allot. I put carbon back in & was done with that treatment. Then I noticed it still there (it's mainly on the long back tail fins) so I try Jungle fungus clear tablets. I noticed the fish hiding & acting real weird & afraid. I took that out of the tank after a day of that med. It's been weeks now & I still see the back tail looking somewhat ragged. I'm stumped on something safe to use. I bought some Melifax , but , afraid to add & not sure if I should go by directions on bottle ? It states add daily for 7 days & then do a water change ? Should you do that or do daily water changes & add med after each change for 7 days ? Any advice here at all ???

Thanks,

Jennie :(

Hi,

I am moving this to the disease diagnosis section--please answer the questions in the white box above. I think that you will get more help in this section.

It could be poor water quality that is causing your problems. The type and amount of filtration that you have will make a big difference in water quality.

I am also wondering if you quarantined the new fish that you added to your tank. If not, this is how many fish owners begin having terrible problems with their fish. Experts recommend that new fish be quarantined for 30 days.

Also, I can't answer your questions about Melafix--one of my fish had a bad reaction to it and I won't use it for any reason.

Guest Jennie

Well, 1 fish in a 20 gallon tank. About the size of a 50 cent piece. Tank has an Aquaclear 300 running with 1 filter pad, charcoal media bag, & 1 bag of bio-balls. There is also a heater set at 76 & airstones. Fish is fine other than ragged fins on the back. I have fed bio-blend food (didn't care for) & now feeding wardly sm pellets. I do weekly water changes & AP drop tests come out fine. Tank has been running since winter. Nothing in the water other than dechol. . Should I add some aquarium salt, would this help at all ?

Thanks for any advice,

Jennie

Guest Jennie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need advice guys please..........If I do the Melafix should I do it the way stated below ?

I was thinking about trying Melafix , but , so scared to keep trying meds.......that Jungle stuff was not good. Fish starting hiding when you walked in the room, swimming fast, & not itself. I wondered if trying Melafix , how I should do treatment ? As what is stated on the bottle ? Do 1 first water change & then add med, do this everyday (WITHOUT CHANGING WATER) for 7 days ????? Then do a water change after 7th day ? Is this safe & right ? Take out carbon ?

Please let me know what to try.

Thanks,

Jennie

How long has your tank been set up & what are your current water params? If you don't have test kits, you can take a sample to the lps & most will test it for free (although it is best if at all possible to have pH, ammonia, nitrIte & nitrAte kits for you to test)

When you have those number post them back here (esp if you go to the store - don't let them tell you that they look OK - get the numbers!)

POst back soon!

:D Jenn

Hi Jennie,

I'm not sure if melafix is really what's needed. Your fish might react badly to different meds in such a short space of time. I would try some 0.1% salt (20 level teaspoons) mixed in tank water then poured in. Observe for a few days.

If your fish is still eating and not showing signs of distress, hopefully it will clear up within a week of salting.

Slugger :)

Hi there Jennie :)

As much as it pains me to say this, you're treating with a lot of meds without knowing your water parameters first. It could simply be due to stress caused by poor water and if that's the case then adding medicines will reduce their ability to fight most ailments as it increases the stress load. Most medications are designed as a support for fish to fight whatever infections they have - and really shouldn't be used at all until water quality is at its most premium. This could be why your little guy may still be showing symptoms.

When you did a good tank clean out - how good a clean out did you do? The entire tank? If so, you may have wiped out a good deal of beneficial bacteria - so may have gone through another cycle...

If it were me? I'd take a giant step back, start with perfect water and salt (as slugger advised) then take it from there.... this may be all your fish needs to be healthy.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :)

Archived