Is My Tank Big Enough?

Guest unthinkable90

Guest unthinkable90

Is my tank big enough for my 4 gold fish... one is a moor and the moor and another are about thumb size (small) and the other two are two thumb put together size..! ! ! My tank SIZE is 5 gallon .. SO IS MY TANK BIG ENOUGH? ~Thanks~ ;):D

No, I'm afraid not. :( For 4 fancy goldfish you need a minimum of 40 gallons. The general rule is 10 gallons per fish so they have enough growing room and in a bigger tank it is easier to keep your water at its best. Your fish are producing ammonia in their waste and in a 5 gallon that will become toxic very quickly. If you can upgrade, they will be much better off and they will thank you for it by becoming bigger, beautiful fish and have longer lives. :)

edited for spelling :blink:

Guest unthinkable90

Thanks but the fish are small right now and a 40 gallon tank!! Thats like 230$ they are only thumb size look...My two fish and theres 2 more like that about twice as big..

Guest Chishower

Just think though, in a year they could be six to eight inches long each if you give them enough space. Can you look in the newspaper and at yard sales to see if you can pick up a 40 gallon or bigger for less money? It will be much better for the fish.

Don't buy the Aquarium kit's because ussually they are way overpriced. Do you have a vvvv in your city, if so, You can buy a 40 gal for about 70-80$ (it's just a tank though, no filter or any else) After you have your tank you can start buying filters for it and a top part to not have the tank open. :)

Does this help? feel free to ask any more questions. :lol:

Also, if, you're on a limited budget, Rubbermaids work fine and are cheaper; they aren't as beautiful, but you get the space for your fish. Good luck, and if you do get a second hand tank, sterilize it before adding fish. If you want to find articles about sterilizing, type 'sterilizing tanks' in the search engine at the bottom of the page.

I know, it doesn't seem like they need that much room, but they do; it can be surprising to find out how much space one fish should have, espeacially when they are so small. I also know it can be hard to get a larger tank with limited budget, and I do know how expensive tanks are! I hope you find a deal or look into Rubbermaids. Again, good luck with the fish.

Hi unthinkable90. I started out with a 5 gal. tank with 2 small fish and it only took a few days to realize that wasn't big enough. If you keep them in the 5 gal. they will be in danger of their growth being stunted, among other things. I ended up putting those 2 fish in a 40 gal. tub where they lived very nicely for over a year until I could get them a bigger tank.

I also have a 47 gal. with 3 small fish that I just bought not too long ago. It really does seem like a lot of space for those little fish but they will grow so quickly and have a much better chance to reach their potential with the proper amount of space. It's so much easier to keep good water quality with a larger tank. With the smaller tank you will be doing constant water changes.

The tub is a really good alternative until you can get a bigger tank. Good luck with your fish.

The rubbermaid type tub is a great idea and easy alternative if you can't get a bigger tank right now. I know it doesn't seem like it now while they are little, but they will need lots of space. Best of luck! :)

:rolleyes: I'm sure I've said ti before,but last year I received some very small baby Oranda's off of a member on this forum.The one baby now measures 8 inches,so they are capable of growing very fast if kept in a suitable size tank,along with good foods,and pristene water.Your fish may be okay for a short while with ALOT of water changes,but they'll be stunted to begin with,and who knows what health problems will come from that. Just my experience. :)

the thing is, that one inch of goldfish is TWICE as dirty as one inch of almost any other fish. So you have twice as much pollutants in the water then if you has, say, minnows or mollies.

unfortunently, your fish arnt going to live very long int hat much space

B) 5 gallons is way too small. I keep 4 Telescopes in a 125 gallon. They have about 31 gallons each. 5 gallons is not enough room for 1 goldie let alone 4!!! :exactly

Guest goldfishgirl

I have a 20 gal tank and I would like to get three fancy goldfish I know no more than that but will three be okay? Is there any recommendations on which kind?

Guest unthinkable90

hahaha well now i only have 2 goldfish in a 5gallon! okay and 2 babys in a 1 gallon.. you guys are crazy

I have a 20 gal tank and I would like to get three fancy goldfish I know no more than that but will three be okay? Is there any recommendations on which kind?

357591[/snapback]

I would reccomend fancy goldfish they require less space than commets :D . You will not be able to have three, sorry :( . The general rule of thumb is 10 gallons per fish :) . I know that sounds like a very empty tank..... Belive me, they will GROW! :lol:

Guest goldfishgirl

Good advice everyone thanks. I went to the petstore and I now have 2 beautiful goldfish living in my 20 gal tank and I hope they may grow great and live happily.

Archived