M Fish Is Acting Weird And ...

Guest unthinkable90

Guest unthinkable90

My moore..Licorice is acting jerky and has his topp fin down alot? What wrong with him..I just added 2 new goldfish too the tank.. There was Licorice And cheetos.. Now i added two bigger ones..They are in a 10 gallon tank..Help?? Please...

Hi,

Once again, in order to help you, we need more information--please answer the questions in the white box above.

Since water quality is a major issue and poor water can cause many problems, I suggest that you do a partial water change. Take out 25% of the water and add back new water using a water conditioner to get rid of the chlorine.

:)

Guest unthinkable90

I HAVE 1 ,5 GALLON TANK WITH 4 FISH IN IT AND I JUST GOT THE TANK AND PUT WATER CONDITIONER IN IT ALREADY...THANKS ANYWAYS!

Hi! - i'm sure you've already been told this, but you are rather overstocked, so it's likely you have a water quality problem. Do you have an ammonia test kit? If not, you should definitely get one - and a nitrite and ph as well, if you can afford them at all - and test the water every two or three days or whenever you see the fish acting at all funny. In a small tank like yours, ammonia and nitrite can build up very fast, and they will kill your fish! So you must test, and, if you see the ammonia getting over 0.5, or the nitrite getting over 1 ppm, you need to change out some of your water right away. In case you haven't done this or seen it done, you suck out about 25-30 percent of the water in your tank, vacuuming your gravel as you go. You need a bucket specially for this purpose, (you drop the small end of your siphon into this bucket once you've got it started so the dirty water lands in the bucket and not on the floor!) and and another bucket or some clean, empty gallon jugs to age the treated fresh water in. And you need the drops you add to your tap or well water to make sure it's safe for fish. Once you have taken out 1/4 of your old water, pour it away and add an equal amount of the fresh, treated water you've prepared. You may need to change out this much water two or three times a week to keep your water quality acceptable and your fish happy.

About the test kits - aquarium pharm. ones are pretty cheap, easy to use, and easy to get in most pet stores. The tetra test kits are also good. If you aren't using prime or ammo-lock for your conditioner, you may also need aquarium salt. it helps the fish with stress from nitrite poisoning and also kills some parasites.

Finally, I noticed you didn't quarantine your new arrivals. They may have had parasites and brought them in to the tank. Your first line of defense will be aquarium salt. Add one tablespoon of salt for every five gallons - so, two tablespoons for your tank to start. Then, 12 hours later, add two more tablespoons. 12 hours later, add the same again. This is enough salt to kill ich, a very nasty little parasite that stressed fish often get. You will need to keep up this salt level for at least a week. That's tricky while you're doing frequent water changes, but it can be done. Just remember you have 6 tablespoons in there for ten gallons. So, if you take out one gallon, you will need to put back 6/10th of a tablespoon of salt as well as a gallon of fresh, treated water. Then just multiply accorrding to how much water you've taken out.

They are cute fish, by the way. I hope they make it. i really like moors.

just another q - how big is your tank, actually? Is it five gallons, or ten? If it is 5, you are seriously overstocked and will have to test, and possibly change out some water, every day. As to the salt treatment for stress, ich, and other parasites, just cut the amounts I've given in half. HTH.

Guest unthinkable90
thanks, but what did people make 1 gallon and 5 gallon tanks for then?? did they make them for the tinniest fish in the world..i had two big fish in a 1 gallon for a year and they are living now and i just put them in a 5 gallon soo..its much better now..i have a 5 gallon tank with two thumb size fish in it and two more that are a lil bigger do you want to see a pic?

They make them because people will buy them. They don't care about the health and well-being of your fish; they just want to make some money.

Goldfish are very messy fishes, and require more room than many other kinds of fish.

Guest unthinkable90

well i know soo mny people that have had goldfish in an old fashoned 1 gallon bowl and have lived years and years and are still alive today...so

Here's some advice. Not to sound rude, but if you want to know what is wrong with your fish, then you need to answer questions we're asking you, and you need to be a little bit more open and understanding to what we're saying. If you really want to help your fish, who you have now seen for yourself, are suffering due to water quality from insufficient tank space, then please, let us help you.

If you don't have the funds, or the desire to get a proper sized tank for your goldfish, then maybe you could take them back to the petstore and get some tropicals. They don't need as much room. :)

I hope you will do what is best for the critters that rely on you soley to take care of them and give them the best quality of life you could possibly give, and I hope this isn't just a thread to get people going. :)

Guest unthinkable90

I DONT NEED ANYMORE HELP FOR THIS...THE TANKS NEW AND IM KEEPING MY GOLDFISH~NOT TOO SOUND rude

Archived